Question Why is my internet speed less than what I am paying for even when I reset the router?

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
Even when I disconnect the coaxial cable and everything else it is usually at 15 mb/s (I pay for like 100 mb/s but I have multiple devices but it should still reach 25-30 mb/s)

This might be a misunderstanding on throughput speeds between the application you are using and Internet Service Provider.
There are 8 bits to a byte. For example the Steam application reads speeds in megaBYTES per second and your internet service provider measures their speed at megaBITS per second.
So if steam shows downloading speeds of 15 megabytes per second, you take that number and multiply by 8 to get 120 megabits per second.
Secondly there's the type of internet connection you have. Most people share one circuit with the neighborhood. This connection is called broadband. The SLA for this connection will only guarantee you UP TO the speed you pay for not that amount exactly. In order to be guaranteed the bandwidth you pay for you'll need your own dedicated fiber circuit which will cost more because it will be your own and not shared with the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaishlothon

kaishlothon

Reputable
Sep 20, 2017
No... my computer used to get 25-30 some MB/s but it has been months since it has... I have run a thorough virus/malware scan and it came up with nothing. Also, my computer is plugged into the internet it isn't using wireless. (One thing the internet has told me was to update the firmware for the router but I have no idea how to do this and unless you guys really think this is the reason I would prefer not to do it but I could have my friend do it if it is a likely reason.)