Question Why is my internet spiking every 10 seconds

Aug 24, 2019
ive had this internet for almost a year and the past month or so ive been getting these spikes going to to 300 or 200 ping and i was very confused and thought it would go away some how but it just keeps happening and i want to take action on it now. Hopefully you guys could help me because ive been looking at so many videos and im stumped.

exit151

Prominent
Jul 8, 2018
Where are you seeing that it is spiking exactly? (make/model of equipment is helpful).

What (and how many) PC's/devices are on your LAN?

In brief, if could be anything from PC's with a game service client (like Steam) which are uploading game data to other players, or similar service. It could be a program/windows rigs downloading updates all at once (more likely Steam or similar).
It could also very well be you are under a network attack. You need to look at your router and/or cablemodem/DSL modem log files and search for key phrases like "DOS" "attack" "scan", and see if anything is coming up. Another good sign of this is not only large lag, but actual loss of internet temporarily.

Then again, it could just be your wifi router/access point is tucked away far from where you're surfing on your wifi device and interference is causing a poor connection. Again, this is why the details are literally everything when asking for assistance :)

Aug 24, 2019
sorry i didnt reply in a long time, im not sure what you mean by where do you see the spiking exactly but it happens every like 10 seconds and there are 5 devices on my lan. What i do think is thats is a loss or internet temporarily because sometimes when im trying to attack someone on a game (rainbow six siege) it literally makes them teleport and stuff and when i do hit them sometimes it doesnt count. I dont think the problem is that its far because im close to it and it worked perfectly before.

What i did notice is that when i go on command prompt and do "ping www.google.com -t" it happens like every 10 seconds but on my brothers computer it didnt happen it said request timed out or something every 15-10 seconds so it might be something with my computer, if you know anything id love to hear your help

Sep 1, 2019
I just fix it yay!, It was my router using the same channel as may 4 other neighbours, try switching the channel to 1 or check with "wifi analyser" app on Google Play to se which channel there is no one on, like 1-6 or 14, I'm so happy I fix it, I can play online games now

Aug 24, 2019
i tried my gateway ip from cmd doing ipconfig and i did the username and password for my router and it says incorrect password. Show i call the company to so i could change the password and have access to the admin or is there another way taht i can change it that you know?

Sep 1, 2019
i tried my gateway ip from cmd doing ipconfig and i did the username and password for my router and it says incorrect password. Show i call the company to so i could change the password and have access to the admin or is there another way taht i can change it that you know?
If you don't know you password for your router you should reset the password or try to login with the default login password and username.

There is no other of changing channel without login in

Sep 1, 2019
how do i change the channel?

To change the wireless channel:
  1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router's network.
  2. Enter the user name and password. The user name is admin. ...
  3. Select Wireless. ...
  4. From the Region menu, select your region. ...
  5. Select a number from the Channel menu.
  6. Click the Apply button.

Aug 24, 2019
the problem is on my router it says the username and password but the password is incorrect even though i put the exact password it showed me on my router. ive tried admin but that didnt work too.