[SOLVED] Why is my ISP charging me so much ? im not even getting the internet speeds that are advertised with my plan !!!

Hydroshot

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Hey guys. So ive been charged out the butt with my current internet plan that is SUPPOSED to be charged 189.99 a month for internet and TV. Im currently using Xfinity and my current plan is:
Digital Premier
260+ Channels
Download speeds up to 150 Mbps
XFINITY® Home Secure 24/7 Security with Professional Monitoring....

The only problem is instead of getting 150mbps im only getting around 90mbps and instead of my bill coming out to 189.99 its around 245 a month and i really dont underrstand why..
I dont want the home security anymore because i know that is a big hunk of the service plan price even tho it specifies that its included with the plan

Solution
The key thing in there is this : 'Download speeds up to 150 Mbps'

Up to, does not mean you are guaranteed 150mbs. In fact it's very possible you are sharing the connection (contention ratio - you can ask your ISP about that), with others. Also, those speeds are typically based on cable connections direct to the router, so if on Wi-fi, you are also not guaranteed to hit those speeds, or even close to it.

As for the fee being paid, absolutely, query that with your ISP. If you are being charged too much, only you can sort that out with them, by either clarifying what you are paying for, and/or deciding it's not value for your money and finding an alternative.
The key thing in there is this : 'Download speeds up to 150 Mbps'

Up to, does not mean you are guaranteed 150mbs. In fact it's very possible you are sharing the connection (contention ratio - you can ask your ISP about that), with others. Also, those speeds are typically based on cable connections direct to the router, so if on Wi-fi, you are also not guaranteed to hit those speeds, or even close to it.

As for the fee being paid, absolutely, query that with your ISP. If you are being charged too much, only you can sort that out with them, by either clarifying what you are paying for, and/or deciding it's not value for your money and finding an alternative.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
my experience with, and the reason i don't use cable anymore, are all the extra charges.

the $189 quoted is the base price. then there are the "rental" fees for the remotes and cable boxes, then all the bogus tax/service fess they like to throw in. quickly adds another $50 or more to the monthly bill. which of course is what you are seeing. look your bill over carefully and you'll see all the extra bloat they added in pretty quickly.

they do it because they can. they get a local monopoly and no one can or will stop them from padding all the extra bs charges.

i only have internet access and no other services from the rip off artists. i use streaming services for my tv. problem is, those same companies also control the price of internet so they just jack that price up on you to make up for you going elsewhere for the other services.

if you have more than one option, it is possible to jump back and forth between them. the new customer offers are usually decent. you use the 1 yr intro plan, cancel and then go to the other one for their new plan and then go back and forth if you don't mind the effort involved. worked for me for years until i dropped cable all the way.

kanewolf

Titan
Your 90Mbit situation may be because you have something that is only a 100Mbit network link. That may be a hardware limitation or maybe a bad cable. But, to get your 150Mbit everything has to be working at gigabit wired rates. 90Mbit on WIFI would be about a 200Mbit 5Ghz link. That might be normal for your hardware.

Oct 13, 2019
Greetings,

This is a solution. However, it is not technical. This comment discusses how to deal with Comcast.

Comcast/XFinity always has more aggressively priced plans available. That is a product of capitalism. You need faster internet and you should pay less for it. I imagine most folks on this form agree with that sentiment generally.

Anyway, call Comcast (I know it is painful), be very nice, and continue demanding to speak with the Retention Department. This department is tasked with retaining customers; thus, they are empowered to offered deals that others are not. Discuss your problem. Tell them you are having difficulty finding any value in their services and unless they have something that will work, and then tell them you will have to switch to AT&T or whoever. THIS WILL GET THEIR ATTENTION AND YOUR BILL WILL DROP. Negotiate.

Remember to be polite. Also, that was a very brief description. I need to record a call and post it.

I currently receive 1G speed for $30.00/month. It's normally $80.