[SOLVED] Why is my laptop getting bad FPS?

Aug 23, 2019
  • 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
  • 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
  • 256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (Boot) + 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive (Storage)
I just got a laptop with these specs. I play league of legends at max settings but my FPS just drops every team fight to unplayable levels

Solution
The more mobiles you have, the harder the cpu has to work. So single player is mostly easy, until you get around a bunch of npcs, thdy have AI too, but not as much as you. Other players will have their own AI, plus yours, so bigger teams gets really intense on the cpu workload. More work = more heat, which is death to a laptop cpu. So it cuts back on speeds and consequently fps in order to not overheat. It's a self protection.

Only thing you can do is eliminate cpu workloads by clearing out resident programming like Xbox DVR, gamebar, Cortana, windows store etc, in nvcp set pre-rendered 3d frames to 1, in game turn off or lower physics effects for clouds and pov. What you physically can see is very little difference in physics, but to...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The more mobiles you have, the harder the cpu has to work. So single player is mostly easy, until you get around a bunch of npcs, thdy have AI too, but not as much as you. Other players will have their own AI, plus yours, so bigger teams gets really intense on the cpu workload. More work = more heat, which is death to a laptop cpu. So it cuts back on speeds and consequently fps in order to not overheat. It's a self protection.

Only thing you can do is eliminate cpu workloads by clearing out resident programming like Xbox DVR, gamebar, Cortana, windows store etc, in nvcp set pre-rendered 3d frames to 1, in game turn off or lower physics effects for clouds and pov. What you physically can see is very little difference in physics, but to the cpu it can be a massive drain.

Solution
Aug 23, 2019

Only thing you can do is eliminate cpu workloads by clearing out resident programming like Xbox DVR, gamebar, Cortana, windows store etc, in nvcp set pre-rendered 3d frames to 1, in game turn off or lower physics effects for clouds and pov. What you physically can see is very little difference in physics, but to the cpu it can be a massive drain.
Only 11% of my clue is being used tho

Aug 23, 2019

And my temps are great

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
11% while gaming? That's seriously low % even for that cpu. Even though LoL is a 2-3thread game, it should be running high % of those threads. I'd be expecting somewhere @ 30-40% minimum.

Check your power plan and gpu settings, see if there's some reason why things seem to be capped. You should be on performance mode during games, not eco. You could also try MSI Afterburner and see what your individual thread usage is in game, see if it's actually using what it should.

Aug 23, 2019
11% while gaming? That's seriously low % even for that cpu. Even though LoL is a 2-3thread game, it should be running high % of those threads. I'd be expecting somewhere @ 30-40% minimum.

Check your power plan and gpu settings, see if there's some reason why things seem to be capped. You should be on performance mode during games, not eco. You could also try MSI Afterburner and see what your individual thread usage is in game, see if it's actually using what it should.
Dell shows benchmarks for games on each laptop they sell . And mine is no where close to the benchmarks they got. For example csgo they say 240+FPS on high settings 1080 p and I am on all very low / off 60-80 FPS and it’s still choppy

Aug 23, 2019

On MSI after burner my gpu shows up way underclocked (400mhz) base and then connection is lost then come back then lost

TRENDING THREADS