Question Why is my laptop lagging randomly? Please help!!

Feb 20, 2019
Device details -
HP Split X2, 13.3inch, i3, 8 GB DDR4, 64 SSD.

I bought this laptop when i was in school around Sep 2013. From the very begining there has has been problem of it lagging randomly at times. Mostly it will boot with a lag and if you leave it for a while, it works normal.

Then at times i will be doing something and it will start lagging. During the warranty period i did make many trips to the service centre and they apparently did all they can (they told me they changed the SSD once too) but the issue kept coming back.

I got the RAM upgraded from 4 GB DDR3 to 8 GB DDR4 hoping it would help, but it didn't.

Someone please help! Can't seem to figure out what is up. Here is a small video of it lagging randomly while resetting windows.

View: https://youtu.be/SqumoQCHj6M

Feb 20, 2019
Does your laptop support DDR4?
Open up task manager and analyze cpu temperatures and physical memory percentages.

As for supporting DDR4, i am sure it does because i updated it like 2 months ago and it has been working fine; other than the random lags.

Also when i see my computer's properties, it says 8GB RAM. So i am guessing it does support it..?

Feb 20, 2019
Open up task manager and analyze cpu temperatures and physical memory percentages.

The CPU temperature is showing to be 60-61°, touching 63° at times. I am just using a browser on it.

I am using RealTemp to monitor this. What i am concerned about us that is this a software issue or a hardware. I don't mind moving to Ubuntu or something if that will make this better. I have already ordered a new Laptop.

I just want to make this usable for basic stuff (browsing, reading, etc). Please advice!

bdw, really appreciate the help!

mtracy1991

Reputable
So when you purchased this for school... the minute you powered it up gave you constant lagging? If yes, hardware could be at fault.... Is there a way to trade this off for another laptop?
Sad to get extra services for a price and get told, "This is all we can do"

The CPU MAY be defective....

So you're able to actually open up a brower and stuff and have to deal with constant lag, correct?

Reactions: Nisheet10
Feb 20, 2019
Yes, at random times. Boot up lags way to much, mostly, and if you leave it on its own for 2-3 minutes after boot up, it works fine (8 out of 10 this trick works). I too am now suspecting that the CPU is dysfunctional.

I got this for school to do basic stuff like going through study material and basic MS office stuff. To be honest, i also think i was taken for a ride by the seller. I wanted to be a part of the 2-in-1 fad and perhaps i made a wrong buying decision.

Also, i was in a different country (Singapore) when i bought this, so dealing with international warranty was certainly a pain. My local support center, in India, didn't make much of an effort as this model was never released here.

Anyway, yesterday i loaded Ubuntu on it, by looking around google. I was able to successfully boot it. It was working quite well. I was told by someone that perhaps the OS (windows) is too much for your CPU and therefore the lag. Will use it for sometime and see how this goes. I will surely update this thread in 2-3 weeks.

Thank you so much for taking out the time and helping me. Appreciate it. God bless you! :D

mtracy1991

Reputable
Yes, at random times. Boot up lags way to much, mostly, and if you leave it on its own for 2-3 minutes after boot up, it works fine (8 out of 10 this trick works). I too am now suspecting that the CPU is dysfunctional.

I got this for school to do basic stuff like going through study material and basic MS office stuff. To be honest, i also think i was taken for a ride by the seller. I wanted to be a part of the 2-in-1 fad and perhaps i made a wrong buying decision.

Also, i was in a different country (Singapore) when i bought this, so dealing with international warranty was certainly a pain. My local support center, in India, didn't make much of an effort as this model was never released here.

Anyway, yesterday i loaded Ubuntu on it, by looking around google. I was able to successfully boot it. It was working quite well. I was told by someone that perhaps the OS (windows) is too much for your CPU and therefore the lag. Will use it for sometime and see how this goes. I will surely update this thread in 2-3 weeks.

Thank you so much for taking out the time and helping me. Appreciate it. God bless you! :D

Glad you got it taken care of. That is odd how the OS coming with the device may be too much. Talk about cheap hardware to make profit. Smh, good luck to you my friend!

Reactions: Nisheet10
Feb 20, 2019
Glad you got it taken care of. That is odd how the OS coming with the device may be too much. Talk about cheap hardware to make profit. Smh, good luck to you my friend!

UPDATE: Since i booted Ubuntu on it, everything seems to working great. No lags, all smooth. The device originally came with windows 8.1 and was upgraded to 10. Still, even with 8.1, there were random hiccups..

Anyway, thank you once again for taking out the time to help me out. Greatful for the help! :D