[SOLVED] Why is my laptop running slow? I need recommendations!

Feb 7, 2019
So, lately I've been wondering why is my laptop runing slow. As I'm studying computer programming, I wanted to buy myself a laptop with good performace. Two years ago I spent an pretty decent amount of money on my Toshiba Satellite S55t with following specs...

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59GHz
8.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 930M(2GB)
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (1GB)
Toshiba HDD (1TB)

Problems I have:
-Slow Startup
-Slow Performace
-Slow Browser and Windows Explorer Loading
-Low FPS when I run a video game

So far I have reinstalled OS (win10), checked Disk, ended/disabled all unnecessary task, services and startup programms, checked for viruses and malwares, updated all drivers (via Driver Easy). After doing all those things I am stil unsatisfied with performace of my laptop. I even got a feeling its just getting slower so I have decided to upgrade my disk to SSD only and upgrade my GPU for more GPU RAM.

Am I doing the right thing? Will this better laptop's performance? Are any other actions needed to get my laptop run faster and smoother?
Any suggestion will be much appriciated and I will provide any other information or spec of my laptop if asked.
I would appriciate any kind of help :)

Solution
First of all, never use crapware like driver easy.
Second, you cannot upgrade the gpu.
Third, an SSD may help assuming that the it's the HDD that is making things slow.

In regards to low fps while gaming, if you are attempting to play any kind of newer AAA game then that hardware is waaaay too low spec.
I mean, it's a dual core CPU and a mobile GPU that is less powerful than a GT 1030.

All in all, it could be the hard drive.

Otherwise, your issues lie somewhere else.

When you say did a fresh install of windows, you completely wiped the hard drive blank before installing fresh right?

Anything else cannot be considered a reinstall/fresh/clean install.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
First of all, never use crapware like driver easy.
Second, you cannot upgrade the gpu.
Third, an SSD may help assuming that the it's the HDD that is making things slow.

In regards to low fps while gaming, if you are attempting to play any kind of newer AAA game then that hardware is waaaay too low spec.
I mean, it's a dual core CPU and a mobile GPU that is less powerful than a GT 1030.

All in all, it could be the hard drive.

Otherwise, your issues lie somewhere else.

When you say did a fresh install of windows, you completely wiped the hard drive blank before installing fresh right?

Anything else cannot be considered a reinstall/fresh/clean install.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS