[SOLVED] Why is my laptop severly underpreforming, and how can I solve this issue

Feb 25, 2021
Hi Guys
Whenever I use my laptop to try and play any sort of game, it is severely laggy and I get constant fps drops. I do know that due to it being a laptop it won't have the same capabilities as a normal 1060 however, I do know that my laptop is capable of running games such as Minecraft and persona 5 scramble at least 60 fps.
I did a user benchmark test and it was saying that my components are running below expectations.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40260184
If anyone can help me, please let me know.

kind regards

Solution
Hi Guys
Whenever I use my laptop to try and play any sort of game, it is severely laggy and I get constant fps drops. I do know that due to it being a laptop it won't have the same capabilities as a normal 1060 however, I do know that my laptop is capable of running games such as Minecraft and persona 5 scramble at least 60 fps.
I did a user benchmark test and it was saying that my components are running below expectations.

kind regards

Laptops get hot which affects their ability to run games, but there are things you can try: 1. Disable unnecessary Startup Programs (Start > Run> Type: msconfig and go to "Startup" Tab) 2...
Hey there,

It's very possible your CPU is thermal throttling. Meaning the CPU is getting so hot, it has to dial back clockspeed, to keep the CPU within the thermal envelope of the laptop design/cooling system.

What temps are your CPU hitting during a game? Try using HWMon/Info, and monitor CPU temps and clockspeed while running a heavy task in the background. Report back.

Feb 25, 2021
Whilst running chrome (in a google meet) with discord open, I am hitting a minimum of 63 degrees celsius and a max of 85 degrees celsius. My minimum clock speed is 3389 megahertz and a max of 3790 megahertz.
I Will test it whilst on Minecraft in 30 minutes or less

Feb 25, 2021
Whilst in Minecraft (in a lobby in the server Hypixel) with only discord opened in the background I got a min temp of 79 and a max temp of 86. My min clock speed is 3391 and max clock is 3393

Whilst in Minecraft (in a lobby in the server Hypixel) with only discord opened in the background I got a min temp of 79 and a max temp of 86. My min clock speed is 3391 and max clock is 3393

Yes, if temps were at 86c it would throttle back to bring temps back where expected.

How old is the laptop? There are some things you can do to help with high-ish temps.

1. Laptop cooling pad.
  2. Undervolt the CPU (Intel XTU/Throttlestop)
  3. Re-paste thermal paste on CPU/GPU - Can be complicated.
  4. Really clean out all vents/fans with compressed air (Consider disassembly).

My own laptop CPU (I7 9750h) can get ferociously hot! By doing these things listed above, temps are now under control, CPU doesn't throttle, and as a result the fan noise is appreciably lower for all the aforementioned factors.

Mar 11, 2021
Hi Guys

kind regards

Laptops get hot which affects their ability to run games, but there are things you can try: 1. Disable unnecessary Startup Programs (Start > Run> Type: msconfig and go to "Startup" Tab) 2. Disable Unnecessary Services (Start > Run > Type: services.msc) if you need help determining which Services can be safely disabled for your version of Windows try Black Viper's Website . Also, you can set your power options to "Performance" which will reduce power saving options that hurt performance, but this will create more heat which also hurts performance. Performing maintenance tasks on your system like cleaning / defragmenting the registry can help performance and so can "Disk Cleanup" utilities, though they are really better at minimizing system slow downs that occur over time due to temp files and registry bloat. Two free ones: Wise Registry Cleaner and Wise Disk Cleaner.

Solution