Why is my laptop so hot?

Gobbling_Monkey

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Hello. I have a HP ENVY 17t- J100 Quad edition laptop. Here are the specs.
CPU: i7-4700MQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 740M
RAM: 16GB
I use it closed with a monitor through HDMI. It is on my wooden desk. with nothing surrounding the fan vent. I use it for schoolwork and gaming. I have noticed my fans being louder than usual, even if I am just browsing the web. The temperatures while browsing the web is 55-70C while only being used at like 9%. The GPU is 60-70C. While playing a game like Overwatch, the temp of the GPU is 75-89C. The CPU reached 92C at one point. but was ~89 most of the time. These temperatures seem really high.
Why is it so hot and what can I do to lower them? Could it just be because dust? I blew some compressed air into the fan vent. Could the CPU fan have stopped working properly? Is there a way to figure out the problem? Would I need to open up the laptop to check what the problem is? I have heard of applying new thermal paste, changing the fan, or just blowing dust out of it. I looked at how to get to the fan on youtube, and think I can do it. Though I can hear them, so they probably aren't dead. Should I buy a laptop cooler? What should I do? Thank you.

Solution
G
Do not blow dust into your computer you.... Anyways, yes give it some dusting, and replace your thermal compound, i am a 100% sure your paste right now is a bit crispy. And get a blower if you can afford one. (Laptop fan)
G

Do not blow dust into your computer you.... Anyways, yes give it some dusting, and replace your thermal compound, i am a 100% sure your paste right now is a bit crispy. And get a blower if you can afford one. (Laptop fan)

Solution

Gobbling_Monkey

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

Hello and thank you for your reply. So I would figure out how to get to the CPU fan and remove it to replace the thermal compound? What thermal compound would you recommend? I hope it isn't too hard to do. I only saw how to replace the other fan. Thank you.