Why is my laptop suddenly laggy?

May 11, 2019
I have been using this laptop for only a few months and recently it just got really laggy. The best example I can give right now is from a game called Overwatch. I used to have a stable 100 fps in the game and now my fps is unstable and can drop to below 10. I've looked into a lot of things like what I have been recently changing and nothing helped, and so I figured maybe I should just reset my laptop, and so I did. In doing so I found that it didn't help me. My fps is still low, and it's not just for Overwatch, its for games like CSGO, Minecraft, Rainbow Six Siege, even Terraria. My laptop is an ASUS TUF GAMING FX504 SERIES. and specs include:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

I'm not super tech savvy so I'm not sure what else needs to be added in specs, nor is it letting me copy and paste stuff so I just put in stuff that seemed important. Thank you for your time.

May 11, 2019
My idle CPU usage is around 5%
Temp while playing overwatch is normally like 60 and can get to 85 at the highest, normally around like 70 though.
And I'll try reinstalling drivers, NVIDIA comes out with a lot of the game ready drivers and I normally download those so I don't know if that's affecting my performance or not.

EDIT: I got the drivers and I still get fps problems. It is more stable, but it's still dropping to the point where the game is nearly unplayable.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019
After a few more months of playing, i noticed that it randomly will spike and start lagging. I still have no clue what’s causing this but i have tried a few things. First I bought a cooling pad, now my temps stay under 80 pretty much always, and i tried cleaning my fans on my laptop, which was kind of scary cuz i wasn’t 100% sure what i was doing. Someone please help me..