Question Why is my motherboard bios light solid green

Dec 18, 2022
I have a Asus Prime B550-plus and a AMD Ryzen 5 5600x so once I got the motherboard I got everything set up to do I bios update and after I held the button and the light started flashing, I walked away from it and let it do it’s thing for about 15 minutes and when I came back it was a solid green so I looked into it and found out that solid green light means there was an error so I’ve been trying to do troubleshooting to fix my issue but I can’t seem to fix it and get the bios updated

I would read ALL of the information at the following link to make sure you perform EVERY step as listed in the step by step instructions outlined BELOW the video. Then, I would download a fresh copy of the BIOS update. Make sure the flash drive is properly formatted. Move the renamed file to the flash drive. Then follow the rest of the instructions. It should go without saying that the system needs to be OFF when using BIOS flashback, but not disconnected from power. It should not be running.

Make sure you have followed the directions for re-naming the BIOS file as well.

Honestly, the B550-Plus should already have support for the 5600x unless you are unlucky enough to get a motherboard that has been living under a rock somewhere for the last two years on somebody's shelf. And that is only likely if you purchased it through a local or very small online retailer. There is a slim chance to get one without a recent BIOS version through a large retailer if they are shipping from a 3rd party seller but it is still pretty unlikely at this point.

Did you at least TRY the CPU in the board before bothering to try using flashback?

Dec 18, 2022
I would read ALL of the information at the following link to make sure you perform EVERY step as listed in the step by step instructions outlined BELOW the video. Then, I would download a fresh copy of the BIOS update. Make sure the flash drive is properly formatted. Move the renamed file to the flash drive. Then follow the rest of the instructions. It should go without saying that the system needs to be OFF when using BIOS flashback, but not disconnected from power. It should not be running.

Honestly, the B550-Plus should already have support for the 5600x unless you are unlucky enough to get a motherboard that has been living under a rock somewhere for the last two years on somebody's shelf. And that is only likely if you purchased it through a local or very small online retailer. There is a slim chance to get one without a recent BIOS version through a large retailer if they are shipping from a 3rd party seller but it is still pretty unlikely at this point.

Did you at least TRY the CPU in the board before bothering to try using flashback?
Yeah I tried the CPU in the board after the update kept failing and after I got everything put together, I turned on the PC and everything was on and working properly but I had no display, it was as if the PC was off and I just did every step as Asus says online and it still failed

Dec 18, 2022

My “DRAM” light is also on when I turn on the whole PC, I heard something in the past about ram being a cause for no display sometimes. Is that true?

So you in fact DID NOT try to install the CPU and see if it would POST, BEFORE you tried flashing it? Well, if the light stays green and the system won't POST then I guess you need to return or RMA the motherboard. Next time I'd suggest you try to see if it will POST BEFORE you try flashing it.

Also, do you have a graphics card installed? Because this CPU does not have integrated graphics.

Dec 18, 2022
Where did you buy the motherboard and how long ago? Was it new or used? If new, what retailer?
I got the motherboard from Amazon and the seller was “AbdelTech”. I got it about a week ago and my parts are Asus prime b550-plus motherboard, gigabyte GeForce RTX 3050 OC 8G, my ram is Samsung 32GB DDR4 model number: M393A4K40CB1-CRC, my power supply I have used for a couple builds and it’s a gamemax gp-550 80 plus, CPU is AMD ryzen 5 5600x

shengton

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
I have a Asus Prime B550-plus and a AMD Ryzen 5 5600x so once I got the motherboard I got everything set up to do I bios update and after I held the button and the light started flashing, I walked away from it and let it do it’s thing for about 15 minutes and when I came back it was a solid green so I looked into it and found out that solid green light means there was an error so I’ve been trying to do troubleshooting to fix my issue but I can’t seem to fix it and get the bios updated
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing with your motherboard and BIOS update. There are a few things you can try to troubleshoot and fix the issue:
  1. Double-check that you have downloaded the correct BIOS update file for your specific motherboard model. You can find the correct BIOS update file on the support page for your motherboard on the manufacturer's website.
  2. Make sure that you have the latest version of the BIOS update utility. This utility is usually included in the BIOS update file that you download, or it can be downloaded separately from the manufacturer's website.
  3. Check that your system meets the minimum requirements for the BIOS update. The BIOS update process may fail if your system does not meet the required specifications (e.g., insufficient power supply, insufficient memory).
  4. Make sure that you have a stable power supply. A power interruption during the BIOS update process can cause the update to fail and potentially damage your motherboard.
  5. Try resetting the BIOS by clearing the CMOS. To do this, you'll need to locate the CMOS jumper on your motherboard and move it to the "clear" position for a few seconds before returning it to its original position.
  6. If none of these suggestions help, you may need to try updating the BIOS using a USB flash drive. Some motherboard manufacturers provide a utility that allows you to create a bootable USB flash drive with the BIOS update file on it. You can then boot from the USB drive and update the BIOS.
If you have tried all of these suggestions and are still unable to update the BIOS, it is possible that there may be a hardware issue with your motherboard. In this case, you may need to contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

Reactions: Devin27984
So, lets start with the power supply. I realize you will likely think differently since it's gotten your through a few builds, which is amazing, since that unit is not very good. It was low quality when it was new, and now, who knows how many years later, it is certainly not even as capable as it was back when it was new. Not even close to a 550w unit to begin with since it can only (On paper anyhow, in reality, probably not even that) sustain 456w on the 12v rail and says so right on the specifications decal. So, not even a 550w unit to begin with, poor quality using cheap caps, older so also probably at least moderately less capable than when new. All of this says one thing, replace it. It doesn't even matter if this component is actually contributing to the problem or not, which it might be or might not be, but it needs to happen anyhow so I'd make a note to yourself to do so and this time make sure you get something with halfway decent quality.

GameMax, is not going to be on anybody's list of quality units regardless of the model.

Since the seller you got the board from sounds like a back alley seller that probably isn't even an actual retailer, I'd say the chances are fairly high that this board had problems from the start. I'd contact Amazon and simply tell them the board doesn't work and return it for a refund or replacement. They don't need need to know about the failure to flash the BIOS or anything other than "doesn't work". There is no reason I can think of unless you did not properly rename the BIOS file, that it wouldn't work.

You did try to flash it using Flashback AFTER you had a CPU and memory installed, right? And the system was not "powered on" but was "connected to power", meaning you did not first turn on the machine and then try to flash it but the cord was plugged in and the switch on the back of the PSU was in the "I" position, right. If so, then all you can really do is return it.

Reactions: Devin27984