[SOLVED] Why is my motherboard rated for 8GB?

Jan 14, 2021
So I have a very cheap Acer OEM motherboard.

I've been upgrading the machine to act as a NAS and game server for some of my friends.

It takes LGA1155 over an H61 express chipset. However, the rated memory capacity confuses me.

The motherboard manual clearly states that it only supports 8GB of DDR3 1600 maximum, but the motherboard chipset, the H61 express, supports up to 16GB maximum. I plan installing an i7-3770, which also supports more than 8GB of memory.

So, what exactly is limiting the motherboard, if both the chipset and installed processor can support higher than 8GB? If I install a 16GB kit, will the PC be unable to address 8GB? I simply do not see a reason for the low capacity rating given the chipset and CPU will support the memory capacity.

Please let me know, thanks.

Solution
I believe what's going on here:
The max capacity - period - is 16GB.
The largest SINGLE DIMM you can use is 8GB.
In other words, if you were to put a single 16GB dimm in that board, it would not work.

The online manual also says 16GB max on page 16, unless Acer were being pricks and bios locked it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In other words, if you were to put a single 16GB dimm in that board, it would not work.

The online manual also says 16GB max on page 16, unless Acer were being pricks and bios locked it?

Reactions: madware95
Solution
Jan 14, 2021

Ah, I see. Good to know as I was planning to two 2 DIMMs of 8.

That manual is very interesting as it specifies the DIMM speed to be 1333MHz, whereas I currently have a 1600MHz kit (2x4GB) running in the board at 1600MHZ.

Acer doesn't appear to be great at documentation.