Question Why is my motherboard temperature high

Jun 8, 2021
I have an ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 motherboard and AMD fx 6100 processor and when I'm gaming my motherboard reaches 81 degrees C and processor 75 C. But I see 2 temperature reading temp#1 is 81 but temp #2 is 45. I don't know why. I changed my thermal paste because I thought the processor is overheating and was transferring heat to the motherboard, but I saw little to no difference, and maybe the situation was even worse. It doesn't even take long for the motherboard to reach that temperature. Please help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The heat is most likely coming from the chipset/heatsink atop the chipset. See if you can place our fingers on said chipset heatsink and if your fingers can corroborate the temps shown on the system? Also, which OS are you operating off of? If Windows 10, what version of the OS are you on? BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Airflow in your chassis? Speaking of chassis, make and model of chassis? Ambient room air temps?

Jun 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The heat is most likely coming from the chipset/heatsink atop the chipset. See if you can place our fingers on said chipset heatsink and if your fingers can corroborate the temps shown on the system? Also, which OS are you operating off of? If Windows 10, what version of the OS are you on? BIOS version for your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Airflow in your chassis? Speaking of chassis, make and model of chassis? Ambient room air temps?

I have windows 10 version 20H2. I checked my BIOS version/date its says American Megatrends Inc. 1201 4/19/2013. I recently changed my PSU to Chieftec Gre 700S eco series, I have been using it for about a month. I have Falcon Zeus Window RGB FCR15ZBW chassis and I didn't add more coolers because I don't know if I can and how.

Edit: I placed my fingers on the metal thing on top of my processor, on which the cooler goes, heatsink(?), and it is pretty warm. The temp of my room is around 26 C.

Last edited: