Why is my new computer so slow?

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
First of all sorry if this is in the wrong place because its not just about the cpu.

Here is the problem: I have been using a 2007 fujitsu desktop for a long time the hardest gaming i can do is gmod on low graphical settings so i really wanted a new one which i ordered pre built.

I know its better to build your own but 1: I know nothing of computers and 2: I have dyspraxia(problem with fine motor skills) so i thought in the end ordering one was the better option. Now the computer i ordered was only €550 because really tight budget but i thought that even before i upgrade it from that it should still be better than a second hand computer from 2007 right?

Well i was wrong i installed windows 10, i used amd's tool to detect and install the drivers i need, downloaded flash players aka everything i know i could need but the new computer does horrid.

Its a bit slow opening new tabs, youtube at best goes at 480p while even the old Fujitsu easily does 720p and when i tried downloading gmod the download stuck around 100kb per second which is also many times slower than the fujitsu.

Some of the specs of the new one: Motherboard: Asus A68HM-PLUS
Processor: AMD richland A6 6400k (2x 3900 MHz) dual core
videocard: AMD Radeon R7 240
Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (memory - dual channel)
500gb hard disk
network Gigabit lan (100/1000Mbit) connection (i use a TP-Link adapter that has up to 433Mbps + 150 Mpbs
Power supply: Corsair VS Series VS450
System: WIndows 10 64Bit

Let me know what kind of information you need to help me here and i'l add it.

Solution
Ok, I'll make it clear. ^^ What you should change in order if you find your PC is slow:

First: Your HDD. Any SSD will be 10 times faster. 95% of people who find their PC slow is because of slow boot times and programs opening. Only a SSD can cure this.

Is your PC still "slow"? Then:

Two: Your GPU. Any discrete card of the year is better. (ex. gtx 1060, rx470)

Still slow?

Three : Your CPU An Athlon X4 880k is the best you can go.

Next up is motherboard and CPU for something Intel. But an Athlon 880, an SSD, and a recent video card is good enough for everyone if for casual use.

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016

I added the specs of the new one in a spoiler but i dont have a list of those of the old one, how do i get those?

skitszo

Honorable
personally....now adays i wouldn't do anything thats duel core anymore.

is the hard drive 5400 speed or 7200 rpm? if its 5400 speed hard drive then there ya go....

best thing you can do is go thru and clean out the bloatware if it has any. uninstall startup programs you can manually boot up when you need them.
make sure all your drivers are up to date.
defrag once a week or so...

personally i think the duel core is your issue...

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016

Well if its the processor i'm screwed probably, whats the best one i could replace it with? Also i have no clue im looking at the delivery info and it does not say much other than 500gb hard drive.

Also windows 10

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Hello.

Slow tab opening is rather normal for an HDD and an A6. If it's within limits.

But slow download speed? My guess would be the TPLINK router is giving you download issues: have you tried connecting your new PC directly in the ISP modem?

skitszo

Honorable
For me a budget AMD gamer build would be using a APU with 2100 or faster memory speed.

A8-A10-A12

but that really depends which games you want to play... and the graphics power you need.

Personally i'm waiting for the new Zen chip to be available before making any other AMD recommendations.

to bad you don't have a computer friend.... you can get a pretty decent home built computer for 500 to 750 bucks that will last.

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016

I've made several A6-5400K rigs with the exact same spec as yours. They are capable of everything your [strike]laptop[/strike] 2007 Fujitsu is capable and more.

Are all your drivers correctly installed? Check your Device Manager for this: (Right click on start -> Device Manager)

And did you test Youtube using the Ethernet wire connected directly to the ISP modem?

If youtube doesn't even give you the 720p choice, then your drivers are not installed correctly. Without the correct drivers, these PC will be extremely slow.

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016

I can do 720 p but it just cant download fast enough to keep up. Also im in devicemanager what now?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Click on the Display Adapter section. What is written there?
Next, click on the Network Adapter section and tell us what is written.

Or make a screenshot and post it using imgur (click new post, ctrl-v, and copy the link)

If your internet is slow, this has nothing to do with the pc usually. Internet speed is not at all related to the PC speed. (at least, unless you have a CPU from the 1990s.)

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016

Before you ask why im not on a dutch forum i like this one. Also here you go http://imgur.com/a/7OySb
In device status it says both work correctly. Also 720plays fine but it just cant keep up with the download so i guess its the processor afterall?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Like I said, the download speed is completely unrelated to the processor. No relation at all. I can download at more than 10mbps with a 20 years old cpu.

Your video card seems okay. But I see a wireless adapter there....I thought you were directly connected?

Your issue is your wireless connection. What is your connection speed atm? And your signal quality? If you're too far from the router, signal quality will go down and limit your download speeds. I suggest either a wired connection (if you're wired already, remove that wireless adapter), or a wireless adapter with a real antenna on it.

Unsounded

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2016
The pc litterally does not have the option for wired internet. Anyway its the same one i used on the fujitsu which did work fast. So you think i can solve the slowness by getting a stronger adapter? and if so which one is recomended?

Natsukage

Estimable
Oct 28, 2016
Only a few feet or a room away can mean absolutely awful internet. To know if it's really your issue, do this on the new pc:
Right click on the Internet icon next to the clock. Select Open Network and sharing center. The Sharing center will open.
Next click on the blue link right next to "connections". It will open your WIFI status.

You will see you network connection and speed. Anything below 2 of signal quality is bad.

Your pc can have a wired connection for sure, all modern pc have it. I can see PCIE GBe on this pic (http://imgur.com/a/7OySb). In the rear of your pc is a LAN connector without fail.

As for a wireless adapter, any one with an antenna is better than one without any. I suggest one such as this:
Newegg