Question Why is my new custom PC freezing every time I do something?

Jun 11, 2019
Just purchased a new custom built PC and it arrived about a week ago. The reason for the new purchase is because my old PC was constantly freezing whenever I would do anything at all. Even opening 1 Firefox browser was almost more than my computer could handle. (Do not have Chrome because it would completely decimate my computer)

Fast forward to now. New custom computer arrived and the company I've bought it from completely installed everything for me before shipment. The only things that I installed were the Windows 10 OS, SSD and Harddrive. On day 1 of using it was very fast and working but was freezing but not nearly as much as my old PC. Come to a few days later it just keeps freezing up and is getting worse. Not sure if it's a hardware issue that is causing this or maybe it's the OS?
Also if it's worth mentioning, I do play games on it.

Here are the Specs:
  • NZXT - H500
  • 500GB SSD
  • Intel - Core i5 9600K
  • Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO
  • Thermaltake - Smart RGB 600W
  • Western Digital - Blue - 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (New Harddrive)
  • Corsair - Vengeance DDR4 Low Profile LPX Series 2 x 8GB 3000 MHz CASE 15 WHITE
  • Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC - 6 GB
  • Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition

The main issue is the constant crashing of the application/game and freezing of the PC. The only part that is old is the harddrive that I have had for a while.
I have even tried taking out the OLD harddrive and running the computer on the SSD I had purchased only 3 - 4 weeks prior as well as put in the NEW harddrive that came with the purchase. No change.
I did contact the company but they said it needs to be shipped to where they are located and it would be a month if not more for them to diagnose and fix the problem.

Sorry for the long text. Tried to be as descriptive as possible. Please some assistance because this is really getting to me. Thank you in advance.

I'd suggest you use the MSI Afterburner free overlay to monitor resource usage in game. This means that, when it crashes, you can see whether your system is at load when it crashes. Do you have any access to other PSUs to test (friends and family) that are up for the job? If so, you can borrow them and see if it fixes the problem. Although Thermaltake PSUs are regarded as low quality, I would say it should he causing such a problem unless it is actually faulty. Also, how about the GPU drivers... If you didn't get the latest ones direct from Nvidia's site, I'd suggest uninstalling the current ones using the PCs Control Panel, then downloading drivers from Nvidia. Don't use ones provided on a disc, as these are typically outdated.

Jun 11, 2019
Downloaded the MSI Afterburner. Tried it. Not sure how to send the log here unless it's sending a JPEG. Also for the log crash, I enabled everything to be monitored except for "Framerate 1% Low", and "Framerate 0.1% Low".

For PSU I am not sure. It's a high chance that I will not have access to one, but I will try to ask around. As for the GPU it is a new computer so pretty sure it has the latest drivers. However, I have used the reinstall button that comes with the GeForce Experience application. Should I reinstall it by removing it and re-downloading as well?

NEW NOTE: Also when I right click my desktop to open Nvidia's Control Panel, my desktop stops responding and the screen goes black. Then it goes back to normal again. The audio also starts looping right before crashing.

Last edited: