[SOLVED] Why is my new gpu slower? (980ti vs 1070ti)

Wafcon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2016
Hey guys, I recently bought a gigabyte 1070ti and swapped it out for my beefy zotac 980ti OC. I compared the specs on multiple sites before I purchased and while the 980ti had a few redeeming features, the 1070ti came out on top by a pretty clear margin.
Anyways, after installing the 1070ti, I've noticed pretty much zero distinct improvement in many games and in some games such as modern warfare I actually lost frame rate consistency.

Was I wrong to "upgrade" from the 980ti? Or is there something I could've done wrong?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
1070Ti should have seen a noticeable bump.

Some games (1 or 2), 980Ti edges slightly over the regular 1070 but in others is quite clear in favour for the 1070.

Then 1070Ti is again significantly faster.

--

Have you tried reinstalling drivers after a clean sweep of current drivers? Try display driver uninstaller in safe mode to remove Geforce drivers.

You're not using Geforce Experience to optimise yeah? Because based on it's quality slider (level of quality varies from card to card depending what the program sees as capable), may set details higher than before.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Some games (1 or 2), 980Ti edges slightly over the regular 1070 but in others is quite clear in favour for the 1070.

--

Have you tried reinstalling drivers after a clean sweep of current drivers? Try display driver uninstaller in safe mode to remove Geforce drivers.

You're not using Geforce Experience to optimise yeah? Because based on it's quality slider (level of quality varies from card to card depending what the program sees as capable), may set details higher than before.

Solution

Wafcon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2016

--

Yeah I haven't really noticed much of a bump. I did obviously install the appropriate driver through Geforce Experience, but I didn't bother wiping the old ones. I'm not sure they would have that big of an impact? I guess I could give it a shot.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Nov 11, 2020
Your 980ti was overclocked. This makes the 980ti perform better than the stock 1070, and a jump from what basically is a 1070-equivalent to a 1070ti shouldn't be all to noticeable. Maybe like a 8% increase in FPS. Could also be a slightly older CPU that just slightly bottlenecks your 1070ti.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I would not move from 980 ti to any 1070 ti ... it is not worth it.

never move from xx8x to xx7x .. stay on the same level when you upgrade

and you need to know that the Flagship "ti" like 980 ti , 1080 ti , 2080 ti

are top of the top , never upgrade them for the next Gen , upgrade them 2 gens ahead

Wafcon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2016
Your 980ti was overclocked. This makes the 980ti perform better than the stock 1070, and a jump from what basically is a 1070-equivalent to a 1070ti shouldn't be all to noticeable. Maybe like a 8% increase in FPS. Could also be a slightly older CPU that just slightly bottlenecks your 1070ti.
True, my 980ti was a pretty meaty card. But after a bit of tinkering I got the 1070ti to smarten up! And my cpu is an i5700k so its also still pretty decent.

Wafcon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2016
honestly that seems like a side grade to me. most performance results I've seen have them neck and neck depending on the game and specific GPU model being used.
Yeah it seems like that's the case. I managed to get it to work pretty decently now but I would never pay full price for this upgrade. Which I didn't, don't worry.

Wafcon

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2016
Usually shouldn't matter but who knows.

In NvidiaCP try also setting power mode to prefer maximum.

I guess you're not using GE to optimise games?
I did some cleanup of drivers and a bit of tinkering around and it seems to be doing its job much better now. Thanks for the advice!