Question Why is my New ibuypower BB971 Crashing games

Feb 24, 2020
I just bought a new ibuypower BB971 with a GeForce gtx 1660 graphics card in it and 8 gigs of RAM. The first 2 days was fine, after that I can run games anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, and then they crash either back to the desktop, or freeze the whole computer. If I do get the games to work they are very laggy. Sometimes pop up help messages will pop up saying I ran out of memory, other times it says I need an updated graphics card, and other times there’s no message at all and just crashes the whole PC. When I bought it I told Best Buy I stream occasionally, and they stressed that 8 gb of RAM would be PLENTY. I stream occasionally, but the games still crash even when the game is the only app I have open. Please help I’ve called ibuypower and was on hold for 2 hours, for them to tell me they can’t help unless I send it in...and Best Buy wants to charge me to look at it. This has been extremely frustrating..., I tried updating windows and my drivers...and nothing changed... all I want to do is figure out what could be causing this without having to reinstall windows or send it in to ibuypower. Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
If you bought it at bestbuy, they should be on the hook for diagnosis. Free.

And yes, iBuyPower will make you pay shipping. Maybe even both ways.
----------------------------------------------
https://www.ibuypower.com/Support/warranty
Procedures for Obtaining Warranty Service

6. You will be responsible for shipping charges to iBUYPOWER. In the event that no hardware problems can be found with your computer, you will be responsible for return shipping costs as well as a $100 labor fee.
----------------------------------------------

Just one of the many wonderful reasons you should not buy one.

Feb 24, 2020
Also, out of curiosity, how much did you pay for it? And what are the other specs (CPU, storage, etc)?
Thanks for the input! I got it on sale for $650 at Best Buy. And here’s all the specs I know...

Intel Core i5-9400F - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 - 1TB Hard Drive + 240GB Solid State Drive - Black

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the input! I got it on sale for $650 at Best Buy. And here’s all the specs I know...

Intel Core i5-9400F - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 - 1TB Hard Drive + 240GB Solid State Drive - Black

I can see why you went for it, that's a pretty good price for the combination of components - I tried taking a quick look at Dell (the once or twice I needed warranty work from them, they were right on the ball with it, and have otherwise been absolutely reliable), but haven't found anything quite at that price and parts level.

Higher price, but the service is much better - the closest I can come (well, actually, a bit more powerful of a base), is this:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...-desktop/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop/xdvmstcs042s
$899, less the 50off699 code, but you'd then have to spend about $200-$220 for to buy a GTX 1660 on your own.
It's an i7 9700, though, with 16GB RAM, but no SSD.

Lower down, and a little closer to what your iBuyPower was:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-desktop/spd/xps-8930-desktop/xdvmstcr003s
$749 less the 50off699 code, i5 9400, also 16GB RAM, no SSD, and you'd have to buy the GTX 1660 separately.

I mean, you COULD get the graphics card from Dell, but they charge $300 for it, and it's readily available elsewhere for about $200-$220 or so.

Dell does have sales that pop up, though, if you're not in a hurry.

Feb 24, 2020
When you say you purchased it "on sale" was it actually "NEW" in box or was it a return/refurbish/open box?
If it was "New", then it should still be under warranty or at the very least, you have a 15 day Return Window with Best Buy

-Wolf sends
Yes it was brand new sealed in the box.