[SOLVED] Why is my newly built PC not powering on properly?

Dec 29, 2019
I have a newly built PC that I put together myself, I was excited to power it on for the first time, and the machine's response was not what I was hoping for. I have an I-5 9400f, z370-a 2 motherboard, 16 gb of gddr4 memory at 2666 mhz, a 1 tb ssd,an nvidia 1660 ti gpu, and a 550 watt power supply. The first thing I checked for was an incompatibility between my motherboard and CPU, I went to asus' website to check what it was compatible with and saw that 9th gen intels could work. Now I suspect that a dead power supply could be the culprit, when I hit the switch on the back of the psu, from "0" to "I", the motherboard's lights activate (it's an RGB mobo), nothing else, no case fans, no cpu cooler, not even the fan on the psu is on. Is there any helpful advice on troubleshooting?

Dec 29, 2019
Are you sure your motherboard has a BIOS that supports the 9400f? All z370 motherboards require a BIOS update to support 9th generation CPU’s.
I suspected a bios update, but asus's website explicitly states that it can run 8th and 9th gen processors, so I had ruled out a bios update when I was trying to figure it out

The fan on the psu will more than likely only spin when needed. Switching from o to I does nothing except turn the supply on, you still have to power up the system. Assuming you already know that, just throwing it out there.

Most z370 boards will need a bios update to support 9th gen, as they're technically 8th gen boards. Bios support out of the box, will be unlikely, unless you know for sure it's a very new stock item.

Ok, I will try a bios update, how will I be able to do that when the system will not work? I have a laptop available if USB thumb drives are needed
You will need a compatible 8th generation cpu to do the BIOS update. Looking at the spec sheet that motherboard does not have a flashback feature to allow a BIOS update without a compatible cpu installed. If you don’t have access to one you can try asking a local computer store to do it.