[SOLVED] Why is my NVME usage so high yet speed so low ?

snow123123

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
So when I do a crystal mark disk test its completely fine (3.5gb/2.2gb) on sabrent 500gb pci3 . However if i do something like a virus scan or some file transfer it goes up like 80% yet its using like 200mbps read and its not even writing anything . What is going on ?

edit: I did another virus scan and my SSD spiked to 99% usage with read 14.2mb and write 1.2mb

Solution
The "3.5gb/2.2gb " from CDM is the Sequential speed. A large single block of data.

The virus scan or file transfer is lots and lots of tiny files. Completely different.
What you see is absolutely normal.

Also, doing a CDM benchmark while running a virus scan...don't do that. Useless test.

USAFRet

Titan
The "3.5gb/2.2gb " from CDM is the Sequential speed. A large single block of data.

The virus scan or file transfer is lots and lots of tiny files. Completely different.

Also, doing a CDM benchmark while running a virus scan...don't do that. Useless test.

Solution

snow123123

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019

ahh that makes sense, well at least its better than having a normal sata SSD as those are 500mbps right ? I assume with lots of tiny files SATA SSD would be even slower ?

USAFRet

Titan
ahh that makes sense, well at least its better than having a normal sata SSD as those are 500mbps right ? I assume with lots of tiny files SATA SSD would be even slower ?
"slower", but not as much as you may think.

Again, that "3.5gb" vs "500mb" is the sequential speed.
Once we get into the small files...which is NORMAL every day use...there isn't a lot of difference between SD types.

The big boost happens when you go from HDD to SSD. ANY SSD.
Solid state drives benefit from the near zero access time. And that applies to ALL SSD types.

Here is the CDM from a Samsung 860 EVO (SATA III), and Intel 660p (NVMe)

fQSPLrD.jpg

The Sequential for the Intel is almost 4x that of the Samsung.
But, down in the 4k realm....not nearly as big a difference.

snow123123

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
"slower", but not as much as you may think.

Again, that "3.5gb" vs "500mb" is the sequential speed.
Once we get into the small files...which is NORMAL every day use...there isn't a lot of difference between SD types.

The big boost happens when you go from HDD to SSD. ANY SSD.
Solid state drives benefit from the near zero access time. And that applies to ALL SSD types.

Here is the CDM from a Samsung 860 EVO (SATA III), and Intel 660p (NVMe)

fQSPLrD.jpg

The Sequential for the Intel is almost 4x that of the Samsung.
But, down in the 4k realm....not nearly as big a difference.
Thank you for the info, this is so useful to me.