Question Why is my old Windows 7 PC loud ?

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
So my old w7 pc is loud when i play games.And even when its idle.I don't think it's the HDD.I think its the fan.
I never had problems with it.I am using it for more than 10 years.

My specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium D 915 (ik that is super out of date)
GPU: Nvidia 210 (ik that is super out of date)
PSU: idk
Sound Card: nvidia
Fan: Intel fan (no fan for gpu)
HDD 1: 240 gb
HDD 2:250 gb
Motherboard: intel D946GZIS
Case: priminfo black 2007

I got a gaming I9 pc but i have to wait 4-5 months to get this custom build.I will also keep this old pc.
I also tried to install windows 10 and it works fine if i uninstall the bloatwares that are running in the background but i had to install w7 because an update destroyed the computer and i lost my data when reinstalled w7.

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
open the pc and listen
I opened it and i don't know what's the problem.

I opened HDD Sentinel and it says that the hdd is ok and the rpm is something around 7000 rpm
I don't hear sounds from the hdd and one year ago i changed the psu fan (i used the case fan) because the old fan failed and now i don't have a case fan.

Also when i open a game like NFS Most Wanted 2005 on high graphics (the graphics are insane and it works fine - i get around 30-40 fps) my pc is louder.

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
A computer that shipped with Windows 7 probably has about 10lbs of dust all over the place and the bearings on the fans are probably giving out. Dust the entire inside of the computer with compressed air, and replace all fans that you can. You can buy cheap fans for about $3 - $4 per fan.

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
I changed the termal paste 6 months ago and i cleaned it today but i think it's slower now.
And i have a hdd that it's dying (idk) because i installed HDD Sentinel and i see that D: had 1065 hours in total and estimated lifespan 468 hours (ik that it's old).
I cleaned the fan with a vaccum.

The DVD player died (it's working if i long press the button) and the cpu is ok.
The computer is super ok and i get 30 fps nfs 2005 on high graphics (insane graphics).WOW,it's true,an old pc running nfs 2005 on high graphics.So it's not super low end even if it have nvidia 210 and pentium d 915.

BallisticMouse

Honorable
Mar 27, 2015
I changed the termal paste 6 months ago and i cleaned it today but i think it's slower now.
And i have a hdd that it's dying (idk) because i installed HDD Sentinel and i see that D: had 1065 hours in total and estimated lifespan 468 hours (ik that it's old).
I cleaned the fan with a vaccum.

The DVD player died (it's working if i long press the button) and the cpu is ok.
The computer is super ok and i get 30 fps nfs 2005 on high graphics (insane graphics).WOW,it's true,an old pc running nfs 2005 on high graphics.So it's not super low end even if it have nvidia 210 and pentium d 915.

You think it's running slower, or did you mean quieter, after cleaning it? I wouldn't call nfs 2005 a benchmark, but I also don't see where what your pc can run is part of asking why it's loud. If you have seriously tried to open it and put your ear close to each fan unit and can't tell which is louder, then I would replace your basic fans since they're cheap and easy to do and go from there.

Also, still not being sure I understand the post and your replies correctly, if your pc is getting loud when you start up nfs 2005 on insane settings then that's kind of normal for a pc to get louder when it plays a videogame. Especially something intensive for the pc's specs.

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
You think it's running slower, or did you mean quieter, after cleaning it? I wouldn't call nfs 2005 a benchmark, but I also don't see where what your pc can run is part of asking why it's loud. If you have seriously tried to open it and put your ear close to each fan unit and can't tell which is louder, then I would replace your basic fans since they're cheap and easy to do and go from there.

Also, still not being sure I understand the post and your replies correctly, if your pc is getting loud when you start up nfs 2005 on insane settings then that's kind of normal for a pc to get louder when it plays a videogame. Especially something intensive for the pc's specs.
Even when i open the browser it's loud (not super loud)

i am also facing the loading issue in my window 7. i am blogger recently i am creating an website. when i am opening that website in the window 7 i show me the mobile responsive error. how i solve this issue. need guidlines. thanks

Please start your own thread instead of "hijacking" an existing one. We can only deal with one member's problem per thread, otherwise it can get very confusing who is replying to what.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
This thread is almost a month old and I don't know if the OP has solved the problem. If not, here's a technique I've been using for about 50 years to locate the source of a noise in a machine, including computers: Get a cheap medical stethoscope - a sub-$5 one is good enough -, remove the chest piece and point the open pipe at suspected locations. It works very well.

You can also use a paper tube but that's not flexible and can be awkward to use.

With the chest piece in place, a stethoscope is also great for telling if an HDD is running. Place the chest piece gently on the HDD. You'll hear a roar even with a quiet HDD if it's spinning.

ItsGamingTube

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
This thread is almost a month old and I don't know if the OP has solved the problem. If not, here's a technique I've been using for about 50 years to locate the source of a noise in a machine, including computers: Get a cheap medical stethoscope - a sub-$5 one is good enough -, remove the chest piece and point the open pipe at suspected locations. It works very well.

You can also use a paper tube but that's not flexible and can be awkward to use.

With the chest piece in place, a stethoscope is also great for telling if an HDD is running. Place the chest piece gently on the HDD. You'll hear a roar even with a quiet HDD if it's spinning.
The problem is not solved.
Now i know that the cpu fan is the problem.
An intel cpu fan from 2007/2008
But my friend said that is normal someone said that its not,an another friend said that its normal