Question Why is my PC crashing when streaming videos on Chrome ?

Jan 6, 2021
Hey, I was hoping that someone on here might be able to give me some advice. I have been experiencing full PC crashes (not just application crashes) when streaming Netflix, Crunchyroll and Prime Video on Chrome. It crashes to a black screen on both monitors and usually restarts itself, but occasionally it requires a hard restart with the power button. While my screens and keyboard backlight go black, my PC's in-case RGB stays on. It also resets if I had number or caps lock on, which it doesn't do when restarting or turning off manually. The time between opening the site and the crash varies from 10 minutes of watching the video to not evening being able to open my Netflix profile, with no discernable pattern. The number of open tabs or applications doesn't seem to make a difference in timing of crash either.

My PC build specs:
  • GeForce RTX 3070
  • Ryzen 5 5600x processor
  • Windows 10
Here is what I've done so far to try to fix the issue:
  • validated my Windows files
  • uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers
  • uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome
  • updated my chip drivers
Interestingly, I can stream Crunchyroll and Netflix on Firefox without issue, and I can stream YouTube and Funimation on Chrome without it crashing.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Kyle Cold

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
I just got a brand new computer and it also crashes while streaming xfinity on chrome.

RTX 3070
Amd 5900x

Update: xfinity stream also crashing on edge browser.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021
Also running a 5600x, and same issu with Google Chrome streamings. No problem with youtube or twitch.
But Netflix, Crunchyroll, Prime video and NBA.com reboots my PC almost instantly.
Wouldn't be a problem as I prefer to use windows10 apps for them, but there is no app for NBA.

Mar 18, 2021
Im running into the exact same issue as you guys. No problem with youtube or twitch, no problem with full screened games. However netflix and some demanding games run in windowed mode reboots my computer instantly.

Same specs,
RTX 3070
Amd 5600x

Why cant i find more information about this from AMD or Nvidia?

Apr 17, 2021
I contacted AMD customer support with the same problem, this is what they told me: (I have a 5600x and rx5600xt with asus b550-f MOBO)

Reset the motherboard BIOS (clear CMOS). Remove the CMOS battery for few minutes and reinsert it.
Disable Precision boost overdrive in BIOS.
Use Windows balanced power plan.
Set the minimum processor state to 0% or 5% in power plan settings.
Make sure you have updated the Chipset and display drivers to latest version.

So far, the problem has been fixed from just doing the CMOS thing and disabling the precision boost overdrive. Hope this helps y'all!