[SOLVED] Why is my PC displaying weird graphical glitches and crashing?

Aug 4, 2019
Evertime I boot up a game, and pretty much every other program that isn't from windows itself. The window begins flickering with small green and red dots. This often results in the game and program freezing and eventually crashing the computer, in a way that even the task manager stops. It started ever since I disassembled my PC some months ago to clean it, so it may just be a qoiuncidence but I'm not sure if this is caused by faulty hardware or software. neither temperature, CPU usage or memory seems to be the problem so I'm really puzzled. Could my computer just be old? I'm happy to take any advice you give.
Here are my specs:

CPU:
Intel Core 15 5200U @2.20GHz
Broadwell-U 14nm Technology

RAM:
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard:
ASUSTek COMPUTER INC. GR6 (SOCKET 1150)

Graphics:
MG248 (1920x1080@59Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 5500 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (ASUStek Computer Inc)
ForceWare version: 431.36
SLI Disabled

Storage:
931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA )
119GB KINGSTON RBU-SC100S37128GD (SATA-2 (SSD))

Solution
Does this happen if you set the Intel or the nVidia graphics as the default? That is pretty much guaranteed a video card issue. Try disabling the nVidia card in Device Manager or BIOS if you can there and see if this happens with the Intel video. If it happens with Intel video, RAM issue can cause video glitches with the shared RAM with onboard.
Well ..
those spots are not uniform, most of them are concentrated in one corner;​
they are not on taskbar;​
they are not on any of any of letters (may be one pink smudge, that is really hard to see).​
Anyway - it doesn't look like artifacts.
Looks like normal desktop wallpaper.

If there were same spots on game screenshot, that would mean either corrupted drivers or overheated/damaged graphics card.

Aug 4, 2019
I think you might be right about driver issues, but as these artifacts only appear on my screen sometimes and the temperature is normal at all times. It also only happens when loading stuff. It sometimes even persist even when I only have google chrome open and it crashes my PC

Aug 4, 2019
EDIT: I just found out what causes the crash. The blue screen shows a stop code called DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and should have something to do with hardware. but I'm still unsure what to make of it

Does this happen if you set the Intel or the nVidia graphics as the default? That is pretty much guaranteed a video card issue. Try disabling the nVidia card in Device Manager or BIOS if you can there and see if this happens with the Intel video. If it happens with Intel video, RAM issue can cause video glitches with the shared RAM with onboard.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Solution