Question Why is my PC hard resetting?

Apr 21, 2019
My PC goes black and restarts randomly, like nothing ever happened. It happens during gaming and when idle. I get a kernel-power error in my event viewer with no special codes. I've updated my bios, turned off CPU overclocking, and moved from a power-strip to direct wall power. Heating looks fine, 70c max on CPU and 75c on GPU.

Should I replace the power supply or could it be something else?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Specs:
i5 7600k
Asrock z270 killer
GTX 1070
16GB 2400 xmp
750w EVGA

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019
My PC goes black and restarts randomly, like nothing ever happened. It happens during gaming and when idle. I get a kernel-power error in my event viewer with no special codes. I've updated my bios, turned off CPU overclocking, and moved from a power-strip to direct wall power. Heating looks fine, 70c max on CPU and 75c on GPU.

Should I replace the power supply or could it be something else?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Specs:
i5 7600k
Asrock z270 killer
GTX 1070
16GB 2400 xmp
750w EVGA
That's pretty much what I'm struggling with and I've tried so many things to where I only have the PSU to blame, I'm ordering a new one tomorrow hoping for the best.

Apr 21, 2019
Is that the SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ Gold model ? How old is your PSU ? Can you try using some other PSU model, if you have any spare unit , just to narrow down the issue ?

It's a SuperNOVA 750 G+ 80+ gold. I put it in about a year ago. I don't have a spare. Was hoping to get a some other eyes on the issue before I spent money and time on new parts. Are there common issues with that line of PSUs?

Mar 22, 2019
Let me know how it goes. I'll probably end up replacing the PSU if turning off my RAM OC doesn't help.
Is your problem as random as mine? I've been logging my pc with HWiNFO due to a user asking for it so he can help me out. He told me to send him an initial log showing specs and usage, where he said my PSU was under performing and I should try and log a reboot. My PC has been running for around 4 hours now with me playing, league, gta 5, calling others and installing software (which usually ends with a restart) but nothing has happened. It's honestly so random for me. Ill be ordering my PSU tomorrow and I'll update you if you're still experiencing the problem.

Apr 21, 2019
Is your problem as random as mine? I've been logging my pc with HWiNFO due to a user asking for it so he can help me out. He told me to send him an initial log showing specs and usage, where he said my PSU was under performing and I should try and log a reboot. My PC has been running for around 4 hours now with me playing, league, gta 5, calling others and installing software (which usually ends with a restart) but nothing has happened. It's honestly so random for me. Ill be ordering my PSU tomorrow and I'll update you if you're still experiencing the problem.

I see no pattern in my reboots. It could happen once per day, it could happen every hour. Doesn't matter the load on my pc. Usually happens while I'm at work while nothing is running.

Mar 22, 2019
I usually leave it on. Never been a problem before. Turning off RAM overclock didn't fix it btw :/
I think what my problem was, was that I never shut down my PC, I would leave it in a lot or put it to sleep so it must've drained a lot of power. My psu is arriving in a bit so I'll put it in and see how it goes.

DSzymborski

Titan
did you find any solution?
I have same issue on my asrock b450m hdv r4.0 mobo

This is a very general symptom. If you require assistance, start a new thread with as many details of the problem as you can think of and a complete list of specs. Do not simply jump into threads dealing with other people's problems with very different equipment.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.