Question Why is my PC is lagging ?

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
I play alot of VR and since that's the most demanding thing I do on my pc, that's where I noticed it. Originally thought it only applied to VR games, but now I've noticed alot of lag in Just Cause 3 and CSGO. My Windows and Nvidia drivers are up-to-date and I just bought a brand new ROG Strix B450-f Gaming mobo that I thought would fix the issue, so bios should be updated aswell. My specs are:

Rift S
RTX 2070 Super OC
24GB RAM
Ryzen 7 2700x
(Brand New) ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
G2 550W Evga PSU (I believe)
Samsung EVO 250GB SSD (I believe it's called)
Some Seagate SSHD 1TB

I've reset my Windows and deleting all files and also wiped both my drives clean once, a long time ago. I don't do anything heavy on my PC besides gaming. My GPU and CPU aren't even a year old. I used fpsVR to get results from Boneworks which is a pretty demanding VR game and I noticed that as soon as I even interacted with items or NPC's ingame, my FPS dropped to 40-60 Range and both my CPU and GPU spiked in usage during this. I play all my games on SteamVR and all VR Games are stored on my SSD. I also have lots of free space on my SSD atm.

Someone please help, been having to deal with this for a long time.

popatim

Titan
Is your CPU overclocked?

I see you have 24GB of ram. This must be using 4 sticks (2x8gb & 2x4gb) which the system may have a hard time running at full speed. Do you have them running at stock (SPD) or were you able to raise the speed some?

Is the game running form the SSD or HDD? If HDD, move it to the SSD and see if performance improves.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Is your CPU overclocked?

I see you have 24GB of ram. This must be using 4 sticks (2x8gb & 2x4gb) which the system may have a hard time running at full speed. Do you have them running at stock (SPD) or were you able to raise the speed some?

Is the game running form the SSD or HDD? If HDD, move it to the SSD and see if performance improves.
Not a bad place to start considering the specifications.

D

Deleted member 14196

Your post states a 250 GB SSD and if all of your games are stored there plus windows and other applications I’m wondering just how much space you have left on the drive

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
Is your CPU overclocked?

I believe they're stock speed, I haven't done anything to them in the bios since I got them. The config of the RAM is definently suss. Due to my motherboard only having two slots, when I upgraded I went from 8GB (4GB x 2) to 20 GB using 1 16GB Stick and 1 4GB Stick. Now I'm on 24GB using my other 4GB Stick I sacrificed to get 20GB. Not my wisest decision, but when looking at RAM Usage in games, it doesn't seem like RAM is the issue.

Edit: All games lag, I only have VR Games on SSD and flatscreen on SSHD,

D

Deleted member 14196

Only VR games on SSD, I have 43GB Free.

Right. this can happen because you are over 80% full on SSD. That is the MAX you should ever fill an SSD unless it has been overprovisioned at at least 15% total disk space. You are at 82.8% full

take a few games off and test it, see if it improves, also once you remove the games, run windows Optimize Drive on it and it will TRIM it for better performance. After TRIM, wait a few minutes, then test your other games you left on SSD

oh and get a bigger SSD is my recommendation, at least 1TB MX500 or something similar. very affordable. larger SSDs last longer too. more space for wear leveling

if i were you i would have ONLY windows on 250 GB SSD. put games on an HDD, you won't notice a difference.

and yes your memory is not a great configuration. a kit of 2x16 DDR would suit you very well. only buy memory in KITS not individual sticks--they are not guaranteed to work if not in a kit--let alone work at maximum speeds

use CPU-Zs to check your memory speed under the Memory and SPD tabs, post them here please. your mixing and matching RAM isn't doing your 2700X any favors.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021

Right. this can happen because you are over 80% full on SSD. That is the MAX you should ever fill an SSD unless it has been overprovisioned at at least 15% total disk space. You are at 82.8% full

take a few games off and test it, see if it improves, also once you remove the games, run windows Optimize Drive on it and it will TRIM it for better performance. After TRIM, wait a few minutes, then test your other games you left on SSD

oh and get a bigger SSD is my recommendation, at least 1TB MX500 or something similar. very affordable. larger SSDs last longer too. more space for wear leveling

if i were you i would have ONLY windows on 250 GB SSD. put games on an HDD, you won't notice a difference.

and yes your memory is not a great configuration. a kit of 2x16 DDR would suit you very well. only buy memory in KITS not individual sticks--they are not guaranteed to work if not in a kit--let alone work at maximum speeds

use CPU-Zs to check your memory speed under the Memory and SPD tabs, post them here please. your mixing and matching RAM isn't doing your 2700X any favors.
I'll look into buying a new SSD in the future, in the meanwhile, here are some screenshots of the CPU-Z Stuff:

View: https://imgur.com/a/9pF06W0

View: https://imgur.com/a/0rEoZNx

View: https://imgur.com/a/2M2BOGg

View: https://imgur.com/a/vnai3P4

D

Deleted member 14196

Could you try to remove the 2 x 4 ram modules and see if it’s still lags?

If it solves the lagging issue then you should just use the 16 GB until you can afford a a kit of 32 if you wish

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
Could you try to remove the 2 x 4 ram modules and see if it’s still lags?

If it solves the lagging issue then you should just use the 16 GB until you can afford a a kit of 32 if you wish
Already thought about that last night. Barely helped, but I think it's because my RAM's MHz is so low, so I overclocked the RAM. I don't know much about RAM at all so don't know if that's what was causing the issue, but overclocking along with only using the 16GB stick helped alot. Still not optimal performance, but for now, I'm satisfied.

Last edited:

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Generally I don't like throwing money at a issue, until troubleshooting has narrowed it down. However, do you have the budget for a 512GB NVME? I really don't like with SSD's get close to "full".

When you say lag, do you mean general lag or FPS drops in half? Do you notice it on all the games you play?

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
Generally I don't like throwing money at a issue, until troubleshooting has narrowed it down. However, do you have the budget for a 512GB NVME? I really don't like with SSD's get close to "full".

When you say lag, do you mean general lag or FPS drops in half? Do you notice it on all the games you play?
Well, CS:GO freezes up quite alot every 10 mins or so, but I excuse it because CS is such an outdated game. I also see it in Just Cause, but the biggest issue for me is VR. I'm a big VR enthusiast and I play alot of VR, but VR is pretty demanding so microstutters and small lag, now turn into massive lag where my FPS gets cut in half, sometimes even goes down to 20 in VR. And about the NVME, I can't afford it right now, but I'll be buying more storage and new RAM this summer, so I'll get it by then.

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
Well, CS:GO freezes up quite alot every 10 mins or so, but I excuse it because CS is such an outdated game. I also see it in Just Cause, but the biggest issue for me is VR. I'm a big VR enthusiast and I play alot of VR, but VR is pretty demanding so microstutters and small lag, now turn into massive lag where my FPS gets cut in half, sometimes even goes down to 20 in VR. And about the NVME, I can't afford it right now, but I'll be buying more storage and new RAM this summer, so I'll get it by then.
I read some more about other people having the exact same issue and this thread said to use opencomposite. I did, still not very good performance, but alot better and almost no stutters unless something intense ingame happens, I wouldn't say the issue is "fixed", but this is one of the ways to make it better.

popatim

Titan
As for the Ram speed, Ryzen processors perform better when ran is upwards of 3200Mhz. you're 16gb module should be able to get you close to 3000 (1500) . Something Like 2933 should work pretty easily.

What did you manage to get with your overclock?

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
As for the Ram speed, Ryzen processors perform better when ran is upwards of 3200Mhz. you're 16gb module should be able to get you close to 3000 (1500) . Something Like 2933 should work pretty easily.

What did you manage to get with your overclock?
Turned on DOCP and got to 3000Mhz, I'll do a bit of testing to check out the performance in a bit.

popatim

Titan
Not sure why you have a 2.5" firecuda in there but as you see in your benchmark - it's pretty slow. I would recommend a 1tb SSD It's hard to beat the Samsung 860Evo or the Crucial MX500 for performance without switching to an M2 NVME drive.

Your Ram appears to be doing well but if you're interested in more speed then we need to know which motherboard you have.

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
Not sure why you have a 2.5" firecuda in there but as you see in your benchmark - it's pretty slow. I would recommend a 1tb SSD It's hard to beat the Samsung 860Evo or the Crucial MX500 for performance without switching to an M2 NVME drive.

Your Ram appears to be doing well but if you're interested in more speed then we need to know which motherboard you have.
Mobo is a ROG Strix B450-f Gaming
As for SSD, my friend told me about the
WD Blue SN550 M.2 2280 1TB

popatim

Titan
Thats an M2 NVME drive and still at a good price (prices are going to go way up)
Be sure to review your motherboard manual for what happens when you put an NVME drive into either of the slots. You have one M2 slot connected to the CPU and the other to the chipset.

ToniMalrs

Prominent
Mar 18, 2021
Thats an M2 NVME drive and still at a good price (prices are going to go way up)
Be sure to review your motherboard manual for what happens when you put an NVME drive into either of the slots. You have one M2 slot connected to the CPU and the other to the chipset.
Yeah, will do. He also recommended the "G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 C18 DC - 16GB" for RAM replacements.