[SOLVED] Why is my PC lagging and dropping frames (Still Playable)

Apr 9, 2020
Hello, I don’t know much about computers and I was hoping someone could help me out. I have been having a problem with my computer and I don’t really know what the reason for it is. Whenever I am playing Modern Warfare regular like matches like Search N’ Destroy and Gunfight I drop frames every so often and my disk usage usually runs at 100% but it goes up and down. Whenever I load into Warzone on Modern Warfare I can barely play because it is just way too laggy for me. It even runs at 100 whenever I am not even playing anything. I have tried all the things that people say on the internet like disabling a lot of stuff like superfetch and antivirus and more things, but I just can’t get down to the problem. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled windows thinking it would fix it. I am starting to think it could be my Memory or not having an SSD, but then again I don’t know a lot about computers. Specs are below.

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology H110M-H-CF x.x
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Memory: G Skill Ripjaws V 8GB (2 x 4 GB)

Solution
Your CPU is a 4 cores 4 threads. This will have a hard time running the new Modern Warfare for sure. Modern games are starting to use more cores.

You have 8GB of RAM. That game have been known to use 12GB of RAM sometime. If your RAM gets full it will start using your drive pagefile and this will create stuttering. Could be your issue here.

The GPU is a little bit on the weak side but the CPU and RAM is limiting you a lot on this game.
Your CPU is a 4 cores 4 threads. This will have a hard time running the new Modern Warfare for sure. Modern games are starting to use more cores.

You have 8GB of RAM. That game have been known to use 12GB of RAM sometime. If your RAM gets full it will start using your drive pagefile and this will create stuttering. Could be your issue here.

The GPU is a little bit on the weak side but the CPU and RAM is limiting you a lot on this game.

Reactions: boju and HiImSark
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Does it lag like this?

16GB ram is recommended nowadays. With Windows taxing between 2~3GB for itself, it doesn't leave much out of 8GB and causes the pagefile (virtual memory) on the HDD to grow. Virtual memory would be faster on an SSD drive but more ram would be better. Both additional upgrades would be great, especially if the HDD you're currently using is a slow 5400rpm drive.

Bare in mind though, mixing ram is a crapshoot, it may or may not work. If buy more ram, it is best to buy as a set where they have been tested to work together.

Regarding high HDD usage in Windows, is it like this after playing a game? Is it like this after restart?

Reactions: HiImSark
Apr 9, 2020
Does it lag like this?

16GB ram is recommended nowadays. With Windows taxing between 2~3GB for itself, it doesn't leave much out of 8GB and causes the pagefile (virtual memory) on the HDD to grow. Virtual memory would be faster on an SSD drive but more ram would be better. Both additional upgrades would be great, especially if the HDD you're currently using is a slow 5400rpm drive.

Bare in mind though, mixing ram is a crapshoot, it may or may not work. If buy more ram, it is best to buy as a set where they have been tested to work together.

Regarding high HDD usage in Windows, is it like this after playing a game? Is it like this after restart?
Yep it is exactly like that! Ive been looking at games where it was 8gb of ram vs 16 gb and never came across a Call of Duty one. I have a buddy who is into PC's and knows a good bits and suggested more RAM but I wanted other peoples opinion. It also is like that right after reset

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's the rpm speed of your HDD? If you can manage an SSD as well, i would highly recommend one.

Im not sure why there'd be high HDD activity outside of games except to guess Windows might doing it's background tasks, updates etc on a slow drive. Wouldn't be a virus since you've done a fresh Windows install. If usage remains high, check task manager for any signs of an application excessively using the system.

Might want to run Malwarebytes just in case.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020
What's the rpm speed of your HDD? If you can manage an SSD as well, i would highly recommend one.

Im not sure why there'd be high HDD activity outside of games except to guess Windows might doing it's background tasks, updates etc on a slow drive. Wouldn't be a virus since you've done a fresh Windows install. If usage remains high, check task manager for any signs of an application excessively using the system.

Might want to run Malwarebytes just in case.
The HDD speed is 7200 RPM. I have a toshiba dt01aca100