[SOLVED] Why is my PC losing power?

Nov 30, 2021
I work from home, my PC was provided from my employer. It worked great up until last month. It started with just shutting off randomly every few days. Now it happens almost daily when it shuts down it also kills my ceiling fan as well? The fuses in my fuse panel are all fine. Sometimes it all comes right back on and stays on other times it will just keep shutting down. Its only the PC that causes this. We have 2 PS4s that we have tried running in the same outlet and they have no issues
Any ideas?

Solution
If the PC is provided by your employer take the PC back to your employer. Have the IT folks check the PC.

That said, if the ceiling fan is also going off with out any fuse or breaker problems then I suspect a loose electrical connection somewhere.

A wire that is connected but loose enough the connection is randomly lost due to temperature and or vibration.

You need a qualified electrician to check the host electrical circuit.

Ralston18

Titan
If the PC is provided by your employer take the PC back to your employer. Have the IT folks check the PC.

That said, if the ceiling fan is also going off with out any fuse or breaker problems then I suspect a loose electrical connection somewhere.

A wire that is connected but loose enough the connection is randomly lost due to temperature and or vibration.

You need a qualified electrician to check the host electrical circuit.

Reactions: Smiller0630
Solution

Ferimer

Distinguished
I work from home, my PC was provided from my employer. It worked great up until last month. It started with just shutting off randomly every few days. Now it happens almost daily when it shuts down it also kills my ceiling fan as well? The fuses in my fuse panel are all fine. Sometimes it all comes right back on and stays on other times it will just keep shutting down. Its only the PC that causes this. We have 2 PS4s that we have tried running in the same outlet and they have no issues
Any ideas?
If your fan is going off as well then there is something wrong with the electrical box that the fan and this outlet are connected to. Have you tried moving the computer to another spot in the house and seeing if the problem persists? If it doesnt then it could be that wall plug isnt viable but if it does then i would get it checked out.

Nov 30, 2021
If your fan is going off as well then there is something wrong with the electrical box that the fan and this outlet are connected to. Have you tried moving the computer to another spot in the house and seeing if the problem persists? If it doesnt then it could be that wall plug isnt viable but if it does then i would get it checked out.
I have tried it in different outlets. However I believe the outlets I have tried are all on the same fuse. I have not tried it in any outlet that is using current from a different fuse.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yeah, if the circuit itself is a problem -- I more suspect the PSU -- you'd have to actually test on another circuit, not simply another outlet.
Certain plugs in where i live do this, so like if i have too much running at the same time it will drop my entire place, it seems my entire unit may be under one circuit (small 1 bedroom) but i thought it was my kids Xbox power supply, i bought a new one thinking it was it, but it still happened, found out that i cant be running too much all at once.