[SOLVED] Why is my PC not performing as well as it used to?

Yr1699

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
So recently I've been using my pc more often as I am back from university, I have noticed that my pc is much slower than what it used to be for example opening files, using programs and recently I used Minecraft just to see how it could handle it as a baseline test as I remember my pc could handle it and sit at 100 fps easily and I was getting around 58fps recently which is quite a big jump and it couldn't even sit at 58fps comfortably. I can understand that over time the performance of parts decrease as I built my computer back in 2015. I have also noticed that on my task manager underneath memory that the speed is 533mhz even though it is 1866mhz, I went into bios to check and it says 1866mhz.

Over the past years, I have not kept up with all of the new hardware as I just been busy with other hobbies and education so I do need to catch up on everything so any advice would be great, please.

My hardware:
Mobo - Asus M5A97
CPU - AMD Fx-8320
GPU: GTX 760
Ram - 16gb DDR3 1866mhz (2x8)
HDD: 1TB WD Black
SSD: 120GB Kingston

Solution
Check with the motherboard website. Windows 10 has had multiple updates/fixes/changes that have and do affect the motherboard chipset drivers, not just the gpu drivers. The 2 biggest culprits being audio and Lan drivers. So starting there, I'd update any and all chipset drivers that are out of date.
So recently I've been using my pc more often as I am back from university, I have noticed that my pc is much slower than what it used to be for example opening files, using programs and recently I used Minecraft just to see how it could handle it as a baseline test as I remember my pc could handle it and sit at 100 fps easily and I was getting around 58fps recently which is quite a big jump and it couldn't even sit at 58fps comfortably. I can understand that over time the performance of parts decrease as I built my computer back in 2015. I have also noticed that on my task manager underneath memory that the speed is 533mhz even though it is 1866mhz, I went into bios to check and it says 1866mhz.

Over the past years, I have not kept up with all of the new hardware as I just been busy with other hobbies and education so I do need to catch up on everything so any advice would be great, please.

My hardware:
Mobo - Asus M5A97
CPU - AMD Fx-8320
GPU: GTX 760
Ram - 16gb DDR3 1866mhz (2x8)
HDD: 1TB WD Black
SSD: 120GB Kingston
Drivers? Windows updates? Kepler hasn’t exactly aged well. I’d say the FX like hasn’t either but that was never good.

Yr1699

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Drivers? Windows updates? Kepler hasn’t exactly aged well. I’d say the FX like hasn’t either but that was never good.

My GPU drivers are up to date, CPU I need to check and ram I'm clueless as to why it is saying 500mhz instead of 1866. As I am starting to use my pc more often for CAD and Calculation software, I definitely will look into upgrading it soon. Been so out of touch with new hardware that I need to catch up.

My GPU drivers are up to date, CPU I need to check and ram I'm clueless as to why it is saying 500mhz instead of 1866. As I am starting to use my pc more often for CAD and Calculation software, I definitely will look into upgrading it soon. Been so out of touch with new hardware that I need to catch up.
What channel is it running in?

TLDR:
Ryzen good intel expensive.
GPUs are the same really AMD is better value and raw compute, nvidia has the high end market sewn up.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check with the motherboard website. Windows 10 has had multiple updates/fixes/changes that have and do affect the motherboard chipset drivers, not just the gpu drivers. The 2 biggest culprits being audio and Lan drivers. So starting there, I'd update any and all chipset drivers that are out of date.

Solution