Question Why is My PC not turning on?

Hijackeddd

Prominent
Oct 30, 2019
I just cleaned my computer and had it boot into windows.I then performed a full shut down and closed my pc’s case.For some reason my PC stopped turning on after that.I tried plugging everything in again and tried to jump start the pc but it didn’t work.Could Replacing the CMOS battery help?Or has this got nothing to do with the motherboard?

DSzymborski

Titan
I just cleaned my computer and had it boot into windows.I then performed a full shut down and closed my pc’s case.For some reason my PC stopped turning on after that.I tried plugging everything in again and tried to jump start the pc but it didn’t work.Could Replacing the CMOS battery help?Or has this got nothing to do with the motherboard?

You don't actually mean you tried to jump start it, do you? I can't imagine anyone would try that to start a computer, but I have to ask; words mean things.

You could try resetting the CMOS battery, but the most likely cause is either you damaged something during the cleaning or something isn't properly seated. You may need to reduce the components to a minimum in order to pinpoint what exactly is preventing you from starting.

DSzymborski

Titan
I meant jump start as in the thing with the screwdriver.

Ok, shorting the pins. Wanted to make sure you didn't actually do this:

Jump_starting.jpg

Because that's what a jump start is. Yes, that might seem odd if you didn't do that, but you wouldn't believe what some people dow ith their PCs.

Reactions: Hijackeddd

Hijackeddd

Prominent
Oct 30, 2019
I had it fully boot into windows after I had cleaned it.For some reason it stopped after that.No lights or beep.I tried reseating everything but it still didnt work

Hijackeddd

Prominent
Oct 30, 2019
Apologies for not posting the specs.And thank you for your fast responses.The specs are:
Dell inspiron 3847
i5 4590
RX 480
16 GB DDR4 1333MHz Ram
Corsair GS700 700W PSU
1TB WD 7.2K rpm hard drive
The motherboard and case are oem.

DSzymborski

Titan
Important update 2.0:
I replaced the cmos battery but now the pc is in this infinite on and off loop.It turns on, fans spin and stops just about a second later

Unfortunately, the most likely possibility is now the motherboard.

But before worrying about that, I'd take everything out of the case and breadboard. Remove the CPU, reseat it, and reapply thermal paste and re-attach the cooler. The obvious things have been checked now.

Hijackeddd

Prominent
Oct 30, 2019
Sorry for the late reply.After about 3 days of trying to revive my pc, it managed to boot into windows.However i am still experiencing problems such as:
-The pc randomly turning off
-The boot loop happening about 5 times before a successful loop
-Pc fully shutting down when i sleep it.
My pc doesnt seem to be very healthy and i am concerned about these issues