[SOLVED] Why is my PC performing slow on some boots?

oho

Dec 30, 2021
Hi, I have been troubleshooting performance issue I am having with the help of two forums already with no help, might as well try here also! :)

Few months ago I bought a new PC from some computer hobbyist that did not have GPU in it, which suited me as I had a RX5700XT on my old computer which I took to this new one.
I had this computer hooked up to my TV and first I noticed that sometimes when I turned on my TV to watch something, HDMI audio would be distorted and crackling, rebooting computer would make it go away. I thought this was something to do with audio resampling settings are broken but then I noticed that every time HDMI audio would be distorted, computer performance would overall be worse, but also rebooting would then fix the performance issue also.

I started to troubleshoot this issue and first I thought that this would have something to do with bad GPU drivers but noted that on some boots it would take several additional seconds before anything would come up to my monitor after pressing power button, ASUS splash screen would load up slowly and if I entered BIOS it would be extremely laggy and unresponsive. If I continue to boot in this state the performance would be so bad that I would be unable to play any games as the FPS would be so low. So I thought that if this problem exists already when booting and in BIOS, it would not be a driver issue and most likely the RX5700XT would be broken. Which would be quite a coincidence that it broke just when I got this new computer.

GPU had warranty left on it but I wanted to be sure about it so I took my whole computer to a repair shop and they made the same conclusion, GPU is broken. I took the GPU back to the shop where I bought it and they sent it somewhere for testing. It came back 2 weeks later and they told me that they booted their test system like ten times and ran furmark on it with every boot but could not replicate the issue I was getting and they were certain that the GPU is fine.

When I took the RX5700XT for warranty I bought a new GPU, RX6600XT and with this card my computer runs just fine, no audio distortion and no performance issues. Everything works.

I would be very interested to solve what could it be that was causing such issue?

Specs:
Old GPU which I had issues with: Asus Radeon Strix RX 5700 XT
New GPU which everything works with: Asus Radeon RX 6600 XT Dual
CPU: Intel I7 11700K
Mobo: Asus Z590-A Prime
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz (Tested also with similiar set of brand new Kingston RAMs)
PSU: Cooler Master 850W V850 SFX Gold

Last edited:
Solution
It isn't the wattage, it is the flow of the power and the PSUs ability to mitigate minor fluctuations. Trying to not get into the weeds of detail.

This issue was fairly common with high-end AMD GPUs and there are a bunch of threads here on the site to document the concern.

The Chieftec may have been "better" than your current CM in this regard.

oho

Dec 30, 2021
What are the complete specs for this system (make/model of each installed component)? In particular, the PSU...The 5700 XT is more power hungry than the 6600 XT and where I suspect the issue lies.

Ahh I forgot to mention them, I edit the specs in.

But the PSU is Cooler Master 850W V850 SFX Gold

oho

Dec 30, 2021
Yeah I will be selling it, but just out of my curiosity I am trying to solve this mystery as I can't really find anyone else having this same issue.

Note that in my old computer in which I had the RX5700XT It was running only on a Chieftec 650W PSU and it worked fine. It also had a I7 2600K.
So 850W PSU being too low power would be surprising as it worked fine with a PSU that was rated 200W lower

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It isn't the wattage, it is the flow of the power and the PSUs ability to mitigate minor fluctuations. Trying to not get into the weeds of detail.

This issue was fairly common with high-end AMD GPUs and there are a bunch of threads here on the site to document the concern.

The Chieftec may have been "better" than your current CM in this regard.

Reactions: oho
Solution

TRENDING THREADS