[SOLVED] Why is my pc randomly shutting down?

OwenTheGamer

Honorable
Aug 13, 2016
Hi, my computer has now developed a problem where I will be on it and all of a sudden it will just shut off with no error and no errors on the post screen suggesting there may have been overheating or whatever. I’ve made sure it wasn’t a surge protector problem which it wasn’t. I have also made sure it wasn’t over heating which it wasn’t and it will happen whenever, it doesn’t matter if I’m just browsing the web or gaming and when it does shut off it won’t turn back on unless I unplug my psu and wait like 10 minutes. I’m gonna assume that it’s the power supply especially since the transformer thats in it looks likes the coils have moved on one side but the other side looks fine. I’ve also made sure it wasn’t a surge protector problem which it wasn’t.

My Build:
MSI X370 Gaming Plus
AMD Ryzen 5 1500x
Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
EVGA 600B
Team T-Force Vulcan 2x4GB
Windows 10

Solution
It’s not a random reboot though. It just shuts off whenever no matter what I’m doing and I have to leave the power supply unplugged for 10 min then turn it on. If I leave the psu plugged in with the pc off the pc won’t turn on at all no matter how long I wait.

that is definitely a PSU issue. it is needing to discharge before it can start properly.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
My canned random reboot Rant
Random reboots are usually caused by the PSU, the RAM or software AND in that order of likely-hood.
PSU - If you can borrow/swap a PSU for testing. sibling/friend you can swap out the PSU and each system will be testing the other.
RAM - run the system with one stick of RAM see if stability returns if not Test all the RAM with memtest 86 for five passes or overnight. if you get no 0 errors after more than five passes the ram is good. with the random reboots I would suggest running this test after the PSU swap or after the PSU has been cleared.
Software - Drivers or other issues can cause reboots. Boot to a linux distro on a USB drive. mint linux will boot to memtest86. you can run the OS from the USB and await reboot.
end canned rant

OwenTheGamer

Honorable
Aug 13, 2016
It’s not a random reboot though. It just shuts off whenever no matter what I’m doing and I have to leave the power supply unplugged for 10 min then turn it on. If I leave the psu plugged in with the pc off the pc won’t turn on at all no matter how long I wait.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

that is definitely a PSU issue. it is needing to discharge before it can start properly.

Solution