[SOLVED] Why is my PC rebooting every time I start a resource intensive game?

Mar 24, 2021
PC Specs:
GPU: Geforce RTX 2080 Super
CPU: i5-9400F @ 2.90GHz 6-core (clean/new heat sync with fans)
PSU: Corsair 750W
RAM: 40GB DDR4
Temp Control: 5 Fans in "THOR", large tower.

So interestingly enough, my PC seems to be able to run Cyberpunk 2077 well (or did), and I beat it multiple times on High settings; however, now when I go to play just about any game (such as Detroit: Become Human, or Life is Strange) my computer just "shuts down" and reboots. No warnings, screen goes black as PC shuts down ands restarts itself. Naturally I think heat could be an issue, or power - but the PSU is brand new (modular) and there is plenty of cooling and fresh thermal paste. I've looked all over on the internet for months, and people say all sorts of things, from hardware, to software and beyond.

I thought it might be related to the fact that my PC is attached via HDMI to a Samsung TV HD/4k (55"), but it seems to still happen on my 27" monitor, so I don't think the screen is the issue here. One of my running theories is that I perhaps attached incorrect wires from the PSU to my GPU, and it may not be getting enough power? I consider myself pretty computer savvy though, and I'm pretty sure I hooked it up correctly.

The 2080 Super has two, 8 pin connections. The modular power supply cords I am using are two, 6 pin connections with two, double pin "attachments" to each 6 pin connection (if this makes any sense). Type4, PCle connections.

Anyone with any insight to what might be causing my issue here? Even if it's just a theory, please let me know - I am desperate. Thanks people of Tom's!

Solution
Hey there,

So, the issue you have typically points to a problem with your PSU. What exact model is it? How old is it?

If you have a spare and can swap out, that would be the quickest way to tell. If not maybe a friend could lend you one. Other that the only other choices are to bring to a local repair store and get them to swap out and test. Then as a last report, get a new PSU.

Of course check some basic stuff like cabling etc, and make sure everything is plugged in properly. If you have a modular PSU, it might be worth getting new cable altogether to be sure.
Hey there,

So, the issue you have typically points to a problem with your PSU. What exact model is it? How old is it?

If you have a spare and can swap out, that would be the quickest way to tell. If not maybe a friend could lend you one. Other that the only other choices are to bring to a local repair store and get them to swap out and test. Then as a last report, get a new PSU.

Of course check some basic stuff like cabling etc, and make sure everything is plugged in properly. If you have a modular PSU, it might be worth getting new cable altogether to be sure.

Reactions: Derp Gravy
Solution
Mar 24, 2021
Hey there,

Thanks for the reply!
Everything is plugged in correctly to the best of my knowledge (unless I'm doing something wrong with my GPU power connection cables). I considered the PSU as well, but it is less than a year old. I believe it is a CX750W Bronze Corsair. I may just buy another considering it's about $100, but I'd prefer to not make the expense if there is another fix/issue causing this.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021
Yes, I understand. No one wants to spend unnecessarily. The CX is not a bad PSU, but not great either. Although sufficient for your build, I'd consider a gold unit with your build.

You might consider RMA'ing it, as it's still under warranty. Hopefully the replacement will wok.
I've considered RMA'ing, but at this point I might just get a Corsair 850W Gold and hopefully leave my troubles behind me. Break the bank a little on a whim, but I can't think of anything else that would be causing me issues. I'm plugged into a surge protector, not sure if that is relevant, but I'd imagine it would get the same power from the wall itself.

Found this (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...boots-or-my-psu-or-is-it-my-gpu-vram.3651560/) seems like most people point the finger at the PSU. Only thing is, I replaced the PSU and other parts for this same issue last year, and now it's back. Maybe the PSU kicked the bucket.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I've considered RMA'ing, but at this point I might just get a Corsair 850W Gold and hopefully leave my troubles behind me. Break the bank a little on a whim, but I can't think of anything else that would be causing me issues. I'm plugged into a surge protector, not sure if that is relevant, but I'd imagine it would get the same power from the wall itself.

Found this (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...boots-or-my-psu-or-is-it-my-gpu-vram.3651560/) seems like most people point the finger at the PSU. Only thing is, I replaced the PSU and other parts for this same issue last year, and now it's back. Maybe the PSU kicked the bucket.

Well, if you're happy to that, that is one way to test (and hopefully sort the issue). If you want to stick with Corsair, look at the RMX/RMI/TXM Golds. They are all pretty good. You could also look at an EVGA G2/G3 or Seasonic Focus/Plus Gold.

Mar 24, 2021
Well, if you're happy to that, that is one way to test (and hopefully sort the issue). If you want to stick with Corsair, look at the RMX/RMI/TXM Golds. They are all pretty good. You could also look at an EVGA G2/G3 or Seasonic Focus/Plus Gold.
I was looking at the Seasonic's, but wasn't sure the quality. I know Corsair RM series is solid, just need to order one I guess. Still considering other fixes if anyone else has thoughts/suggestions. I appreciate the feedback my friend.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Mar 24, 2021
I tried cleaning it out, replacing thermal paste, and rearranging cables, plugging and unplugging into different ports on the PSU. No success. If anything I made it worse. My computer seems to be lagging and unable to run basic programs. Big problems.

Mar 24, 2021
Damn buddy I just trashed my 4 year old HX1000 and switched to RMx750, now you are making me nerves about having Corsair again...
I was hoping to get an EVGA but they crazy miner raided them all, there is no available stock for any brand over 850W within 2 weeks :(

Mar 24, 2021
Damn buddy I just trashed my 4 year old HX1000 and switched to RMx750, now you are making me nerves about having Corsair again...
I was hoping to get an EVGA but they crazy miner raided them all, there is no available stock for any brand over 850W within 2 weeks :(

Check that link, see if there are any available.

Edit: I read that wrong, see you got a the Corsair already. For the price it's been a great PSU, and for all my modular needs. Corsair makes solid products with a good warranty. I may have burnt mine out from power surges. I used to live in a basement that had flickering power, and may have ruined it.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021
Mixing ram can also cause sudden shut downs
Could you elaborate amigo? I have all DDR4, two RGB Corsair 16GB Pro (32GB) and another stick of Corsair 8GB Vengeance I believe. All DDR4, totalling 40GB (I would have another stick of the 8GB, but it wouldn't fit with my CPU cooler). You think those may be reacting negatively?

D

Deleted member 14196

you mixed manufacture types. the speeds and latency matches don't matter when you do this. ram is guaranteed to work in the form sold. That means sold in a KIT, not bought separately and then thrown together.

sometimes mixing works, sometimes it doesn't, take out the one stick of Corsair and see if it keeps rebooting. also remove any ram overclocks for the test.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Mar 24, 2021
you mixed manufacture types. the speeds and latency matches don't matter when you do this. ram is guaranteed to work in the form sold. That means sold in a KIT, not bought separately and then thrown together.

sometimes mixing works, sometimes it doesn't, take out the one stick of Corsair and see if it keeps rebooting. also remove any ram overclocks for the test.
I'll certainly give it a try, and report back. Thanks for the feedback! I consider myself PC savvy, but always more for me to learn.

Mar 24, 2021
Taking out the 8GB stick or RAM did not help. Game's still lagging, then computer "crashes" and reboots itself... Not sure what else to do. Waiting on a new PSU to see if that's the issue (and yes, I separated the RAM correctly for system after removing older stick).

Mar 24, 2021
when you took it out, you need to remember to reset CMOS, go into bios and set everything to Optimized Defaults
Hmm not sure how to do that on MSI Click Bios 5. Is this a manual step?

EDIT: I removed the battery on the MOBO to get it reset, also in bios made sure everything was default. Tested again, still not the fix. Starting to lose hope. My only hope is that it is the PSU and the replacement will fix me.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2021
I can tentatively say the issue has been resolved. New PSU! The EVGA 850W gold is beastly . I used two cable this time. Instead of the 8 pin (PSU) to two 8 pin (GPU), I have two cable, 8 pin to 8 pin. Not sure if that is making any impact, but atm the issue seems resolved. I will try playing for a while and then report back.