[SOLVED] Why is my PC rebooting for one game?

chosenj

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Just recently since the launch of The Master Chief Collection, my PC has rebooted most times when attempting to play. It goes into the first loading screen then reboots. Only does it for MCC and nothing else. First figured it was a thermal issue as CSGO would reboot in the past when I haven't dusted out my PC. So I dusted it out and changed thermal paste and got no where. The only times its let me play is when I use the PC for the first time of the day. And when it runs it runs absolutely fine.

Specs: (Speccy)

Operating System:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU:
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 39 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM:
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard:
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (MS-7917) (SOCKET 0) 38 °C

Graphics:
GN246HL (1920x1080@59Hz)
HP 2009 (1600x900@60Hz)
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 470 Graphics (MSI) 56 °C

Storage:
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 (SATA ) 37 °C
447GB TOSHIBA-TR150 (SATA (SSD)) 31 °C
232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAKX-753CA1 (SATA ) 37 °C

Optical Drives:
No optical disk drives detected

Audio:
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Solution
Just the game, steam, and Discord

Well before you try anything else, the occam's razor explanation for your issues is the lack of ram you have installed to start with. I keep telling people that 8gbs is not enough memory to run anything more demanding than applications like Microsoft Office. When it comes to applications like video games, 16 gbs should be considered the minimum. The 'standby' memory swallowing up the rest of the little memory you have left doesn't help either, and there is a way to keep that in check (I would have to P.M you for that if you want it), but the most immediate solution for this is to simply get another 8 gbs of ram. This might be your issue.

chosenj

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
You may be running out of video memory. Check your virtual memory in system settings in windows to make sure it is set properly. What graphic settings are you using to play, high, medium or low?
Usually on high besides CSGO. Using 8.19GB/12.26GB for virtual memory. Also a few months ago I noticed that only one of my GPU fans would spin so at times I now have to take off my side panel and manually spin the second fan to get it going. But doesn't really have any effect on how the game performs besides the one fan working more to cool down the GPU.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
You may be running out of video memory. Check your virtual memory in system settings in windows to make sure it is set properly. What graphic settings are you using to play, high, medium or low?

I doubt its his virtual memory. He should be getting error messages saying he is running out if he did. That still doesn't mean he shouldn't get another 8 gigs of ram. I mean, my virtual memory isn't really set correctly either, yet my PC hasn't crashed at all. Something else may be going on here.

chosenj

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019

I doubt its his virtual memory. He should be getting error messages saying he is running out if he did. That still doesn't mean he shouldn't get another 8 gigs of ram. I mean, my virtual memory isn't really set correctly either, yet my PC hasn't crashed at all. Something else may be going on here.
I’ve tried seeing ways to resolve it when it first happened around 4-5 days ago. Maybe a power issue? Not very good with understanding what’s going on but trying to learn to prevent any future issues. Checked system logs and saw system event kernel-power 107. Which I think is it just restarting itself. So maybe it’s my power supply? Not sure

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Usually on high besides CSGO. Using 8.19GB/12.26GB for virtual memory. Also a few months ago I noticed that only one of my GPU fans would spin so at times I now have to take off my side panel and manually spin the second fan to get it going. But doesn't really have any effect on how the game performs besides the one fan working more to cool down the GPU.

Sounds like you should get that fan checked out by a service department somewhere, like Best Buy or Micro Center. A fan not working as intended is a pretty serious hardware malfunction the way I see it, especially when you are running intensive programs like video games. Assuming your memory is the problem, then you should check to make sure it isn't being swallowed whole by system file and 'standby' memory. In the resource monitor window, it shows up as 'standby memory'. Just type 'resource monitor' in the search bar, and click the app that pops up. If the bar is filled in as dark blue, then you have a problem.

f5c1561327117040.jpg
s the issue.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I’ve tried seeing ways to resolve it when it first happened around 4-5 days ago. Maybe a power issue? Not very good with understanding what’s going on but trying to learn to prevent any future issues. Checked system logs and saw system event kernel-power 107. Which I think is it just restarting itself. So maybe it’s my power supply? Not sure

Well, what wattage is your power supply?

chosenj

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Sounds like you should get that fan checked out by a service department somewhere, like Best Buy or Micro Center. A fan not working as intended is a pretty serious hardware malfunction the way I see it, especially when you are running intensive programs like video games. Assuming your memory is the problem, then you should check to make sure it isn't being swallowed whole by system file and 'standby' memory. In the resource monitor window, it shows up as 'standby memory'. Just type 'resource monitor' in the search bar, and click the app that pops up. If the bar is filled in as dark blue, then you have a problem.

f5c1561327117040.jpg
s the issue.
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pnyf5MzUp][/URL]

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Yeah, I don't know if this is the reason why your PC keeps rebooting, but it is definitely a problem nonetheless. The amount of RAM it says is 'in use' is an even bigger issue than the 'standby' memory. It shows that you need to buy more ram for one, and maybe close any unneeded programs running in the background. Ideally, your bar should look like mine, almost all light blue of 'free' memory.

chosenj

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Yeah, I don't know if this is the reason why your PC keeps rebooting, but it is definitely a problem nonetheless. The amount of RAM it says is 'in use' is an even bigger issue than the 'standby' memory. It shows that you need to buy more ram for one, and maybe close any unneeded programs running in the background. Ideally, your bar should look like mine, almost all light blue of 'free' memory.
Had Chrome, discord and steam open

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Just the game, steam, and Discord

Well before you try anything else, the occam's razor explanation for your issues is the lack of ram you have installed to start with. I keep telling people that 8gbs is not enough memory to run anything more demanding than applications like Microsoft Office. When it comes to applications like video games, 16 gbs should be considered the minimum. The 'standby' memory swallowing up the rest of the little memory you have left doesn't help either, and there is a way to keep that in check (I would have to P.M you for that if you want it), but the most immediate solution for this is to simply get another 8 gbs of ram. This might be your issue.

Solution