Question Why is my PC shutting down when I *just* start a game?

Apr 24, 2019
At first I thought it's only a Witcher 3 problem. I played the game for a bit (on high) and the boom, PC shuts down and restarts automatically as if my graphic card got overheated (but it didn't). I tried low settings, it worked for a bit, so I put it back to high, same problem happened again. So I was like screw CDP, but then I tried another game and it immediatly shut down my PC when it just started loading up.

What is wrong with my PC? I'm so frustrated. Please help me guys.

My graphic card is Nvidia 980 ti and it's completely new and working well (I got it checked today). My PSU is 750W. It should be strong enough. Everything (Internet, folders, videos etc.) works except when I get into games. It's like as if my graphic card got hot, it did not even have a chance though (sad lol), so the PC tried to protect itself but why is it doing it when the temps don't even hit 50 degrees.

What can I do?

Apr 24, 2019
4 years? Unfortunately, those older green label CX units were not known for longevity.

I'd stop short of saying that's the culprit, definitively - but it's certainly a strong possibility.
What other PSU would you recommend? Would be a new 750W enough OR would you go for another graphics card similar to this one with less power demand?

GKandRiven

Reputable
May 11, 2016
I might be wrong, correct me if I am but try a power supply tester that you can buy cheaply from ebay to see if its ok or not with a "load" on the power supply like a HDD or something connected to the power supply.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What other PSU would you recommend? Would be a new 750W enough OR would you go for another graphics card similar to this one with less power demand?

For a 2400S + 980TI, a quality 550W unit would be more than capable. 650-750W would give you a lot of added headroom for future upgrades, but components are getting less power hungry.
What kind of budget would you be working with for a PSU? And where are you located?

I might be wrong, correct me if I am but try a power supply tester that you can buy cheaply from ebay to see if its ok or not with a "load" on the power supply like a HDD or something connected to the power supply.

Yeah.... You're wrong :ROFLMAO:

A true PSU "tester" is not cheap. What you can buy typically only shorts pins to confirm the PSU turns on. You can do the same thing with a paperclip or similar.
That, nor with an HDD connected would be remotely close to confirming the PSU can still adequately power the 250W GPU + CPU etc.

Reactions: TJ Hooker