Harith Aslam

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
i just downloaded avast free version from cnet, and installed it. i shut down my comp. and as i was shutting it down, i noticed some updates that had to be installed and sure enough, when i clicked the shut down button, and they were. i booted my comp now to find out that before the password enter menu, the screen displays some text saying preparing to configure windows. do not turn off your computer. just before that, i noticed that some updates were installed that had something to do with the registry. its been on like for 30 minutes now. what shud i do?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Just let it do its thing. Windows can take along time to configure updates, especially if its a new build and its updating to the new Service Pack ect ect. Did a build with my friend yesterday and took windows about 45min to install all 91 updates.

Harith Aslam

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
hell. i restarted and booted in safe mode. did system restore. found out that now its displayed that installation failed. thankfully all is well now wth system restored. hope this never happens again.