[SOLVED] Why is my pc underperforming?

Jun 2, 2020
I've been using my pc a lot more lately and the game I've been playing is rainbow six siege. I've done a little bit of research and was that i should be getting around at least 180 fps on low settings but i only get around 100-130.
2700x
Rtx 2060
16gb ddr4 3200
I've been looking at my temps and my cpu and gpu are around 54C

Solution
IDK man, if you've done everything I've suggested, and if you were getting higher FPS before than you are now, then it's either something you have installed in Windows or it's that low quality power supply. I believe that unit uses the same platform as the old Corsair VS models, which is not a very good platform for a PSU in a gaming system. Probably quite a lot of ripple which can affect performance but in truth it's probably a LOT more likely that it's something in Windows.

When you built this system did you do a clean install of Windows or did you reuse an existing Windows installation from a different system?

I'd probably try a clean install and then go back through and download the drivers for your network adapters and audio from...
If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

It might also be a good idea to clean things up by following the steps suggested here:

Jun 2, 2020
I've been using my pc a lot more lately and the game I've been playing is rainbow six siege. I've done a little bit of research and was that i should be getting around at least 180 fps on low settings but i only get around 100-130.
2700x
Rtx 2060
16gb ddr4 3200
I've been looking at my temps and my cpu and gpu are around 54C
If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

It might also be a good idea to clean things up by following the steps suggested here:

I’ve done all that and nothing has changed

IDK man, if you've done everything I've suggested, and if you were getting higher FPS before than you are now, then it's either something you have installed in Windows or it's that low quality power supply. I believe that unit uses the same platform as the old Corsair VS models, which is not a very good platform for a PSU in a gaming system. Probably quite a lot of ripple which can affect performance but in truth it's probably a LOT more likely that it's something in Windows.

When you built this system did you do a clean install of Windows or did you reuse an existing Windows installation from a different system?

I'd probably try a clean install and then go back through and download the drivers for your network adapters and audio from the motherboard product page and install the latest chipset driver from the AMD website, as well as the latest Nvidia driver and see if there any improvement. If there's not, then it simply is what it is. I can tell you I get much better performance than you're getting with a 4 generation old Skylake 6700k and a 2060 Super, at 1080p with medium high settings. It's probably also worth downloading HWinfo, installing it, running "Sensors only" and then taking a look at CPU and GPU usage while you are in game. See if one or the other is hitting a wall. At 1080p it's almost certainly your CPU, which has plenty of cores/threads but has relatively low single core performance and IPC compared to most Intel CPUs and compared to the Ryzen 3000 series. And CPU performance will drastically affect your FPS in any game that isn't completely GPU bound, but ESPECIALLY if that game relies primarily on strong single core performance.

It's highly likely that the "should be getting around 180fps" that you're comparing your performance to is on a system with the same graphics card but a different CPU and other hardware. You can't compare somebody else's system to yours unless you have EVERYTHING the same. CPU, motherboard, memory, graphics card, internet connection speed, etc.

Solution
Jun 2, 2020

I'd probably try a clean install and then go back through and download the drivers for your network adapters and audio from the motherboard product page and install the latest chipset driver from the AMD website, as well as the latest Nvidia driver and see if there any improvement. If there's not, then it simply is what it is. I can tell you I get much better performance than you're getting with a 4 generation old Skylake 6700k and a 2060 Super, at 1080p with medium high settings. It's probably also worth downloading HWinfo, installing it, running "Sensors only" and then taking a look at CPU and GPU usage while you are in game. See if one or the other is hitting a wall. At 1080p it's almost certainly your CPU, which has plenty of cores/threads but has relatively low single core performance and IPC compared to most Intel CPUs and compared to the Ryzen 3000 series. And CPU performance will drastically affect your FPS in any game that isn't completely GPU bound, but ESPECIALLY if that game relies primarily on strong single core performance.

It's highly likely that the "should be getting around 180fps" that you're comparing your performance to is on a system with the same graphics card but a different CPU and other hardware. You can't compare somebody else's system to yours unless you have EVERYTHING the same. CPU, motherboard, memory, graphics card, internet connection speed, etc.

Thanks, this helped, but now my audio is very low and i have downloaded all the drivers

Last edited:
So, I would go into device manager, double click the sound, video game controller item to expand it. Right click on your audio controller and select "Update" and then "Update automatically" and see if Windows thinks there is a better driver available than the one you downloaded from the motherboard product page, if you did that.

Jun 2, 2020
I did that and it was the most recent driver, then i tried uninstalling them and reinstalling and while i was doing that, after uninstalling the sound worked fine again.