Why is my PCIE x1 WIFI adapter not working in my PCIE x4 slot?

blujaffa

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Ive got the TP-LINK TL-WN881ND 300Mbps WIFI adapter and its been working in my pcie x1 slot just fine but i just got a new sound card and speakers and ive had to move the wifi adapter to a x4 slot and i turn my PC on and everything seems to work fine, but then 10 or so minutes later my pc cant find the adapter and the green light has turned off and ive got no internet. Ive tried restarting my PC and the same thing happens again. Anyone know whats happening?

thanks.

Solution
Not true at all. You can even install a x16 card in an open ended 1x slot or a 1x card into an x16 slot. All that changes is the bandwidth and power delivery.

My guess would be you have run out of available PCIe bandwidth. CPUs only provide so much and that slot may be currently disabled with your configuration.

Please provide motherboard, CPU, and all your PCIe cards and we can either come up with a configuration that will work, or you will have to give up something.

Vetsku

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015

I think that they are backwards compatible when the adapter is meant for x4 slot, then it can work on "lower slots"

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not true at all. You can even install a x16 card in an open ended 1x slot or a 1x card into an x16 slot. All that changes is the bandwidth and power delivery.

My guess would be you have run out of available PCIe bandwidth. CPUs only provide so much and that slot may be currently disabled with your configuration.

Please provide motherboard, CPU, and all your PCIe cards and we can either come up with a configuration that will work, or you will have to give up something.

Solution