[SOLVED] Why is my performance lacking?

Oct 12, 2021
I would like to think my pc is on the higher end. but I find it hard to push over 60 fps average with medium settings.
My build:
Mobo - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming
GPU - Geforce RTX 3070 Ti
CPU - Ryzen 7 2700x
Ram - G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 16GB x4
PSU - EVGA 750 BQ Bronze
HDD - 4 TB Toshiba
SSD - 500 GB Samsung 860 Evo
I am in desperate need of assistance...

Solution
1)Background cpu usage ideally should be 10% or lower. You probably left the browser on, so we can let this slide, I imagine.
2)You need to disable your monitor's G-Sync/FreeSync feature when running this, or it throws the accuracy out of whack.
3)Has the Samsung Evo's driver not been updated in a while?
4)Ram. What the others said about ram speed with Ryzen is true, but what's also true is that Ryzen 1000 and 2000 memory controllers didn't play nice with both high frequency and 4 dimm kits.
That 2700X's memory controller probably can't handle higher than 2666/2800mhz with 4 dimms.

I see a cpu limitations combined with whatever the heck's going on with that Evo drive. Check...
Oct 12, 2021
What game?
What monitor resolution?
What operating system?
What drive(s) is the game installed on?

...for starters.
Any game really. some examples though are, Escape from tarkov, Far Cry 6, Forza Horizon 4.
Monitor resolution is 1920x1080
Windows 10 Operating system
My OS is on my SSD and my game is on HDD.

My OS is on my SSD and my game is on HDD.
This could be your issue. Gone are the days where game assets are only loaded during the initial loading sequence. For the smoothest gameplay, games should really be on an SSD.
Could you try fully uninstalling one of your games and then re-install it on your SSD to test? Remember, don't fill your SSD past 85% full. Also, run a Userbenchmark and post the link to your results.

Oct 12, 2021
What game?
What monitor resolution?
What operating system?
What drive(s) is the game installed on?

...for starters.
Okay so I did some digging and when purchasing the motherboard I found somewhere that said it was compatible with the ryzen 7 2700x but I am figuring out that a lot of places are saying its not. especially the manufacturers site... could it be pure chance that the processor is working right now but the motherboard isn't properly utilizing it?

Oct 12, 2021
This could be your issue. Gone are the days where game assets are only loaded during the initial loading sequence. For the smoothest gameplay, games should really be on an SSD.
Could you try fully uninstalling one of your games and then re-install it on your SSD to test? Remember, don't fill your SSD past 85% full. Also, run a Userbenchmark and post the link to your results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46998716

Okay so I did some digging and when purchasing the motherboard I found somewhere that said it was compatible with the ryzen 7 2700x but I am figuring out that a lot of places are saying its not. especially the manufacturers site... could it be pure chance that the processor is working right now but the motherboard isn't properly utilizing it?
It's not officially supported but that doesn't mean it won't work.
I don't think it's possible that the motherboard 'isn't properly using it'.

Please run a Userbenchmark and post a link to the results.

Oct 12, 2021
You are using the ram at default speed of 2133? Ryzen NEEDS high speed ram. Also check refresh rate of you monitor in windows settings, maybe it is set to 60hz. Check nvidia control panel and windows display settings to see the refresh rate is ok.
I tried to enable DOCP to set the speed to its overclock speeds but the pc goes into a boot loop. Also both nvidia control panel and windows both have resolution at 1920x1080 and 165hz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Background cpu usage ideally should be 10% or lower. You probably left the browser on, so we can let this slide, I imagine.
2)You need to disable your monitor's G-Sync/FreeSync feature when running this, or it throws the accuracy out of whack.
4)Ram. What the others said about ram speed with Ryzen is true, but what's also true is that Ryzen 1000 and 2000 memory controllers didn't play nice with both high frequency and 4 dimm kits.
That 2700X's memory controller probably can't handle higher than 2666/2800mhz with 4 dimms.

I see a cpu limitations combined with whatever the heck's going on with that Evo drive. Check the health of that Toshiba drive with an app like Crystal Disk Info(not Mark):
https://crystalmark.info/en/ (first blue bar right under Quick Download)
Could it also be that you carried over an older C drive and didn't clean install windows? :unsure:

Solution
Oct 12, 2021
What's the RAM voltage set at? Check the max voltage (listed by the mfg.) for the sticks you are using and set it to that. Try setting a static 2933MHz.
Okay, the DOCP profile was trying it to 3600MHz at 1.35v (1.35v is the max voltage recommended by G.Skill) but I manually set the speed to 3200MHz and it booted fine! I am going to load up my game and see if I notice a change at all.

Oct 12, 2021

I see a cpu limitations combined with whatever the heck's going on with that Evo drive. Check the health of that Toshiba drive with an app like Crystal Disk Info(not Mark):
Could it also be that you carried over an older C drive and didn't clean install windows? :unsure:
My Samsung Evo firmware is up to date. I uncapped my fps and did the userbenchmark again here are the results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46999575

Oct 12, 2021

oh and that crystaldisk app said both drives are in good health condition

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Things are ok now?
Hmm, something's up with that 3070Ti. It's close to within 10% of the average bench, but the percentile is well under 50th.
Is the gpu running under the Optimal power plan in NVCP? Or maybe it runs a little warm?

IF you start experiencing BSOD events, you likely will need to turn down the ram frequency.

Okay, the DOCP profile was trying it to 3600MHz at 1.35v (1.35v is the max voltage recommended by G.Skill) but I manually set the speed to 3200MHz and it booted fine! I am going to load up my game and see if I notice a change at all.
Be sure to boot off a Memtest86 bootable USB and go through at least one full pass (will probably take 30 mins). Random memory errors can be like chasing ghosts - be sure the memory is fully stable at 3200MHz before going further.
After a full memory test, boot into the OS and, after sign in, let it sit at the desktop for 5 mins, then re-run Userbenchmark.

Oct 12, 2021
Things are ok now?

Hmm, something's up with that 3070Ti. It's close to within 10% of the average bench, but the percentile is well under 50th.
Is the gpu running under the Optimal power plan in NVCP? Or maybe it runs a little warm?

IF you start experiencing BSOD events, you likely will need to turn down the ram frequency.
I'm not really sure.. Power management mode is set to "normal" its never really under a lot of stress (Never see it go above 65-70% ) and atm it sits idle at around 45 C

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Power management mode is set to "normal"
In Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Power Management Mode, there's Optimal(default), Adaptive, and prefer Max Performance.
Optimal prioritizes saving power whenever possible.
Max performance is kinda self explanatory. It'll run at base clock or higher regardless of the load.
Adaptive is like that good middle ground between the other 2. It doesn't waste as much power when you're not doing anything with it.
Then again, if you're cpu thread bound in some games, it probably doesn't matter too much if the gpu power plan is on Optimal.

Oct 12, 2021
Be sure to boot off a Memtest86 bootable USB and go through at least one full pass (will probably take 30 mins). Random memory errors can be like chasing ghosts - be sure the memory is fully stable at 3200MHz before going further.
After a full memory test, boot into the OS and, after sign in, let it sit at the desktop for 5 mins, then re-run Userbenchmark.
I'm still running that memtest86 boot you told me to do. There are 0 errors so far but its at 7 and a half hours. Is that normal?

Oct 12, 2021
In Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Power Management Mode, there's Optimal(default), Adaptive, and prefer Max Performance.
Optimal prioritizes saving power whenever possible.
Max performance is kinda self explanatory. It'll run at base clock or higher regardless of the load.
Adaptive is like that good middle ground between the other 2. It doesn't waste as much power when you're not doing anything with it.
Then again, if you're cpu thread bound in some games, it probably doesn't matter too much if the gpu power plan is on Optimal.
When I went to the setting the only options in my drop down were "normal" and "max performance"

I'm still running that memtest86 boot you told me to do. There are 0 errors so far but its at 7 and a half hours. Is that normal?
The more memory you have the longer it will take.
At the top right you'll see it count through the types of tests. I think there's 9 or 10 in the latest Memtest86. I think somewhere in the middle right of the screen there's a 'Pass' listing. Once it cycles through all the tests and starts over that number will increase. You should only need to go through 1 pass for 99% memory stability.