Why is my power supply buzzing?

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Recently rma'd a defective hard drive because I got an internal disk error on boot.

After eagerly plugging in the new hard drive, the computer decided to turn itself off. After that, it wouldn't turn back on. After a few different attempts and resetting some cables, the power supply now buzzes as soon as it is turned on. Something is trying to stop me from finishing this build.

It is an Evga 500W Bronze plus certified if that matters.

Luthango

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
post system specs... im going with a hunch here maybe your psu is defective or just doesnt have enuf power for your build. does the sound of the psu change as you run different programes louder then softer

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
First was refurbished WD 250GB. Yep I know it was stupid but price was insanely low. Second is a Seagate 500GB 7200 RPM.
CPU: AMD Athlon 750K
GPU: Asus Radeon 7790
Mobo: Gigabyte F2A55M-HD2
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (Planned on upgrading later)
Case: Rosewill Challenger
No optical drive needed to save money, trying to boot off USB.

However, before I returned the defective hard drive the computer would already boot. I had windows installed (did not enter product key thank god) and was attempting to install drivers when it froze. This is why I'm really confused because all of these parts worked before. The only thing that has changed was the hard drive. This is a build I'm doing for my little brother for Christmas and would really love to have it working by then.

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
@Luthango: I cannot even get lights to turn on so there is no way I can answer that. As I stated in my previous post though, this WAS working 2 days ago perfectly fine. The odds of me getting 2 defective parts blows my mind, especially when I spent the extra cash to get a certified PSU.

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
After waiting a few minutes the buzzing has stopped but computer still does nothing when I attempt to turn it on. I have also tried manually connecting the power pins with a screw driver to make sure it is not a problem with the case plugs.

Luthango

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
OK bro let work backwards here remove your gpu and hdd and leave 1 stick of ram power on your PC if it does add everything one at a time. if you want you could just remove everything and perform a bare-bone test using the psu and bored. and continue from there. if you have a spare psu lying around try that

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
*Sigh* Edit again. Turned on for a few seconds, then shut itself down. Sorry for spam posting, just updating with whatever I figure out. Only have another 45 min to work on this before he gets home from school.

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Just out of curiosity, the last time I built a computer (for myself) I had to RMA the mobo and the processor. I thought that was a total fluke. Now, on my second build I have to RMA a hard drive and now a PSU. This just plain sucks.

Not to mention the fact that I specifically searched for a PSU with not only an 80 plus certification but one with good reviews as well. This thing was working a few days and then when I finally get my new hdd it decides to die? How unlucky do I have to be for this to happen?

Luthango

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
what i want you to do is unplug everything except the psu and power switch. if bored powers on you should hear beeps from not having memory inserted. after that insert memory your pc should post if it doesnt let me know.

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
That would be ideal but I don't have another build to test this on because I'm not going to take apart my working computer for this. I'm going to TigerDirect right now to buy a power supply before I return this one. Thanks for help guys.

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
That would be ideal but I don't have another build to test this on because I'm not going to take apart my working computer for this. I'm going to TigerDirect right now to buy a power supply before I return this one. Thanks for help guys.

As I mentioned earlier, that is not a good unit, its a cheaply build PSU, not meant to last long. But before making any decision test it, then do what is necessary. Components die no matter how lucky you are !

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Got a new power supply from TigerDirect by some unrecognized brand called Ultra LSP. Everything works great and the system is up and running. Pretty sure I have the worst luck in the world when it comes to building computers but at least I get more troubleshooting experience each time. Thanks for help everyone! Now I get to deal with more RMA's xD

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

That's what I did the first time and it did me no good. This one was bought in store and has a lifetime warranty. Easy to replace

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Well, I could see the concern there, but it is a budget build and I can't buy a $150 psu like I did for my own.