Question why is my PPT limit only reaching 60% during cinebench?

Aug 30, 2024
5700x3d chip -30 curve optimizer. Stable.

While running cinebench R23, hwmonitor and ryzen master both show that my ppt is about 60% of the max I'm so confused , Yet my scores are great. Should it be 100% or am i tripping? Im confused tbh

Mike

Last edited:
There are two other limiters aside from PPT: there's EDC and TDC too. And, of course, core temperature.

It's probably peaking the EDC (Electrical Design Current) limit instead; EDC is the peak current a processor is allowed to draw during a transitory processing "spike" (intended to be a protection for weak VRM's). EDC will peak out before either of PPT or TDC during certain AVX instruction functions, which is exactly what Cinebench does.

These three parameters are what you play with when tweaking PBO settings. I'm not sure you can do that with an x3d processor but even if you did increase the EDC settings you might find it actually losing performance. I think that's because core temp starts to limit performance if you let core currents run too high during sustained periods of transitory AVX spikes. Sometimes, actually reducing EDC from the stock settings allows the processor to stretch it's legs a bit better.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Aug 30, 2024
There are two other limiters aside from PPT: there's EDC and TDC too. And, of course, core temperature.

It's probably peaking the EDC (Electrical Design Current) limit instead; EDC is the peak current a processor is allowed to draw during a transitory processing "spike" (intended to be a protection for weak VRM's). EDC will peak out before either of PPT or TDC during certain AVX instruction functions, which is exactly what Cinebench does.

These three parameters are what you play with when tweaking PBO settings. I'm not sure you can do that with an x3d processor but even if you did increase the EDC settings you might find it actually losing performance. I think that's because core temp starts to limit performance if you let core currents run too high during sustained periods of transitory AVX spikes. Sometimes, actually reducing EDC from the stock settings allows the processor to stretch it's legs a bit better.
Hey, Thanks so much for the detailed reply!

Could you please take a look at this picture?

View: https://imgur.com/a/TKB4a6u

Mike

Hey, Thanks so much for the detailed reply!

Could you please take a look at this picture?

View: https://imgur.com/a/TKB4a6u

Mike
I'm going to say it's thermal limits, running at 80% in that HWMonitor screen, that's holding it back. That, too, is probably to be expected with an X3d processor since that stacked cache arrangement makes them very much thermally sensitive.

Anything you can do to cool the processor better may help get a tweak more performance since there is margin in PPT, EDC and TDC. But even that may not be enough. With any 7nm (and smaller) processor the problem isn't getting heat off the heat spreader, it's getting heat out of each individual core... or in this case out of the cache...and to the heat spreader.

Last edited: