[SOLVED] Why is my psu so noisy ?

May 9, 2022
Hello guys, I'm asking here to be sure about something.

I recently changed some stuff in my build but I never changed my psu thinking it provided enough power.
Problem : The psu is a bit too noisy and it gets even worse when running a game.
The noise is not extremely loud but it's still noticeable and slightly annoying it feels like the fans are running at full power.
I tried to clean the fan or to check if there weren't any cables in front of the fan but nothing changed...

Here are my specs :

CPU : i7 8700k
Motherboard : Asus Prime 7370-P
RAM : 32 gb DDR4
GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
Case : Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
I also have 2 HDD of 2tb and 1 SSD of 500gb
PSU : Fortron Raider 750S, 750W

Do you guys think the noise come from the fact that my psu is too old/low cost or is that related to the fact that i changed my case for a bigger one or maybe another issue ?

Solution
Yeah that's what I thought...
It's definitely not coil whine since my psu is just making an annoying white noise (https://voca.ro/17rmnqF8Hvdq)
So yeah I assumed the issue was from the bad quality of the psu.

Is there any good PSU you would recommend for my config ? I don't really know which one to choose except the fact that I'd prefer a full modular.

The list is still pretty good.

I would go Tier B at worst with a 1080 in there, but that's only if I wasn't going to upgrade my GPU for some time. Since the PSU you have now isn't particularly good quality, I wouldn't wait for wider ATX12VO adoption; it's going...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? When you say changed some stuff, what have you changed? You might want to include a video with audio to help us identify the noise that you're experiencing. Furthermore, you've narrowed the source of the noise to be the PSU?

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
It's noisy because it's getting hot. If the noise comes from the fan that is.

Are any of the components overclocked? that PSU shouldn't be maxed out with that load, but, it's an older unit indeed and you could start thinking of a replacement, a quality 550W unit will be fine for those parts.

If you're concerned about futureproofing and will upgrade the graphics card in the near future then don't buy a PSU now as we don't know how much power the new cards will use, it's speculated that it'll be a lot though, in the 400W+ range for high end models. We'll have to wait and see what happens with ATX12VO.

DSzymborski

Titan
There usually aren't a lot of sounds from a PSU other than fan and coil whine.

In any case, that's a very old PSU that was very mediocre when new and not something I'd be pairing with a GTX 1080 a decade after it was built. Or honestly, when it was new. The Raider was one cheaply made platform.

LL

On our slowly-getting-out-of-date PSU tier list housed here, this would be a Tier D PSU (Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems).

Reactions: dudio
May 9, 2022
There usually aren't a lot of sounds from a PSU other than fan and coil whine.

In any case, that's a very old PSU that was very mediocre when new and not something I'd be pairing with a GTX 1080 a decade after it was built. Or honestly, when it was new. The Raider was one cheaply made platform.

LL

On our slowly-getting-out-of-date PSU tier list housed here, this would be a Tier D PSU (Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems).

It's definitely not coil whine since my psu is just making an annoying white noise (https://voca.ro/17rmnqF8Hvdq)

Is there any good PSU you would recommend for my config ? I don't really know which one to choose except the fact that I'd prefer a full modular.

DSzymborski

Titan

I would go Tier B at worst with a 1080 in there, but that's only if I wasn't going to upgrade my GPU for some time. Since the PSU you have now isn't particularly good quality, I wouldn't wait for wider ATX12VO adoption; it's going to be a while as OEMs are not enthralled with the idea of making DC-to-DC conversions their problem.

Now, this doesn't mean that the sound is necessarily coming from there, only that since the PSU ought to be replaced anyway, it makes sense to do that, if practical. You may still want to try and pinpoint the source of the noise further. A rolled up bit of paper to your ear is a good way to try and track down the exact source.

Solution
May 9, 2022

I would go Tier B at worst with a 1080 in there, but that's only if I wasn't going to upgrade my GPU for some time. Since the PSU you have now isn't particularly good quality, I wouldn't wait for wider ATX12VO adoption; it's going to be a while as OEMs are not enthralled with the idea of making DC-to-DC conversions their problem.

Now, this doesn't mean that the sound is necessarily coming from there, only that since the PSU ought to be replaced anyway, it makes sense to do that, if practical. You may still want to try and pinpoint the source of the noise further. A rolled up bit of paper to your ear is a good way to try and track down the exact source.

Alright, i'm gonna check this out. Thanks a lot !