Why is my R9 380 under-performing?

Tom_15_

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Hello, recently I bought my MSI R9 380 4GB.

My other specs:
-MOBO: M5A78L-M/USB3
-PSU: EVGA 500W Bronze
-CPU: FX 8320
-RAM: 8GB

-Drivers: AMD beta drivers.

Lately in "demanding games" I have been feeling like my GPU is not showing how beasty it is (SOMETIMES). I seem to play Dying Light on High with a 60 range of FPS. I can play Rust on 'Good' with a good 60 range. But, when I play games like Minecraft, Gmod, WoW. I seem to get terrible FPS. Maybe it's the optimization, I'm not sure. Some reason I cannot put WoW on as it stutters, so I put it on High for it's best.

This may sound stupid, but I just have the feeling it isn't showing it's full power. I recorded my Temps on Rust, and it was a constant 65-66*C. So, I don't know if the PSU is bottlenecking and causing problems or what. Just really want to gain full potential of this card. Thanks.

(But I just feel like it's literally performing the same as my previous card, R9 270x.....)

Solution

aeko97

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

I'm sorry and I don't even know what the problem might be but there's something wrong with your rig in my opinion, which is the PSU. I'd recommend going for the 550W or the 650W EVGA G2 Gold Certified and Full Modular PSU. You have a demanding system based on AMD which draws a lot of power and in my opinion your motherboard isn't the best for the system as well, they are a little bit of a let down in my opinion

Solution
First off switch to the current finalized driver from the beta driver and make sure that is not the issue. Unless the beta driver states it's got a fix for something with which you are currently having a problem, there is almost no reason to run the beta driver.