[SOLVED] Why is my rig not performing? Can't think what the bottleneck is...

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi everyone,
Hope you're all well in these...interesting times :unsure:🤞

So my query is why my rig is not performing? Mostly used for gaming as well as some photoediting.
I don't seek a lot from it, as I only have a 75hz monitor so reliable 75 FPS is all I really need, but I've asked people on the forums of the games I play (Mordhau!!! :ptdr:) and they think I should absolutely be running the game easily, even up to ultra settings (Mine are middling, and still FPS dips occur frequently)

So, I will say up front my set up gets rather hot, even the case becomes warm to the touch, so maybe it's the cooling (in which case I've run it like this for the past 2 years so may have damaged it?)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU
COOLER: AMD Wraith Spire Cooler
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB NITRO+ [bought 2nd hand nearly 2 years ago, possibly needs benchmarking? Any suggestions welcome]
PSU: Antec NeoECO Modular 650W Semi-Modular PSU
RAM: Adata XPG Gammix D10 8GB (2x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 [not bought as a linked pair, and speccy states speed of 1330?]
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
STORAGE: 2x SSD, 1 for OS, 1 for Games,
CASE: Antec GX200 Gaming Case - Black
FANS: Exhaust: 12mm [came with the case}
Intake: 12mm Arctic F12 Case Fan

Thank you in advance for any of your kind assistance, my esteemed and honourable gentlemen, gentlewomen, gentlepeople....
🙇‍♂️🙏

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Hope you're all well in these...interesting times :unsure:🤞

So my query is why my rig is not performing? Mostly used for gaming as well as some photoediting.
I don't seek a lot from it, as I only have a 75hz monitor so reliable 75 FPS is all I really need, but I've asked people on the forums of the games I play (Mordhau!!! :ptdr:) and they think I should absolutely be running the game easily, even up to ultra settings (Mine are middling, and still FPS dips occur frequently)

So, I will say up front my set up gets rather hot, even the case becomes warm to the touch, so maybe it's the cooling (in which case I've run it like this for the past 2 years so may have damaged it?)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor
COOLER: AMD Wraith Spire Cooler
GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB NITRO+ [bought 2nd hand nearly 2 years ago, possibly needs benchmarking?]
PSU: Antec NeoECO Modular 650W Semi-Modular PSU
RAM: Adata XPG Gammix D10 8GB (1x 8GB) 3000MHz DDR4 [not bought as a linked pair, and speccy states speed of 1330?]
MOBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
STORAGE: 2x SSD, 1 for OS, 1 for Games,
CASE: Antec GX200 Gaming Case - Black
FANS: Exhaust: 12mm [came with the case}
Intake: 12mm Arctic F12 Case Fan

Thank you in advance for any of your kind assistance, my esteemed and honourable gentlemen, gentlewomen, gentlepeople....
🙇‍♂️🙏
A good day to you fellow person :)

Are your temps normal in speccy?
Do your fans rev a lot?
is your ssd filled to the brim?
do you have the issue outside of mordhau?

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
A good day to you fellow person :)

Are your temps normal in speccy?
Do your fans rev a lot?
is your ssd filled to the brim?
do you have the issue outside of mordhau?

Thank you for your questions, much appreciated:

Speccy temps: I get a bug that shows it running as 104 °C currently just idling and having done nothing with it so far this morning. Apparently it's a sensor bug I read about as it made me turn off my computer when I first saw it! If I use different software (GPU-Z I think?) it shows relatively normal 60ish

Fans rarely rev, which worries me, though hard gaming they do get noisy.

SSD is rather full - currently:
35gb free of 411GB - Games SSD
70gb free of 232GB - OS SSD

Yes, the performance definitely isn't as high as it theoretically should be for other games, but I notice it most in Mordhau because it's pretty much all I play now and it's a game that relies on split second reactions.

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.

Is the RAM in slots A2 & B2?

Have you tried setting the RAM to 3000 MHz using DOCP?

Edit: Oh and thank you kindly for your enquiries, much appreciated!

Ran userbenchmark, here's the forum link:

UserBenchmarks: Game 55%, Desk 86%, Work 52%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X - 83%
GPU: AMD RX 580 - 57.6%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 98.9%
SSD: PNY CS900 480GB - 79.8%
RAM: Adata DDR4 3000 2x8GB - 96.6%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-B450 AORUS PRO-CF

I don't know which slots the RAM are in, I think they are 2nd and 4th along from the processor

My BIOS has XMP, which isn't turned on, but I can do.

It seems likely from the UserBenchmark that it's my GPU holding things up actually...