[SOLVED] Why is my RTX 2060 Super overheating ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SahinKenar

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
Hi fellow friends,

Straight to my problem; recently I boought a 2nd hand gpu; an RTX 2060 Super(HP) which came out of a prebuilt HP system. gpu specs

Card is very clean and minorly used, but it reaches high temps due to 1 fan design. I read 83-84 C, under load and it bothers me.

I didnt't have undervolting experience, yet, after watching a couple videos I managed to undervolt(i think) it to 0,875 MV on 1860 Mhz, but the temps only dropped by 1-2 C.

Right now I am considering buying a 92mm fan(BeQuiet Pure Wings 2) and replacin the stock fan with it. I don't know if it would work thouh.

Anyone have a solution/recommendation on cooling that MF GPU ? BTW, my case is kind of small but have good airflow. Have 1 intake and 3 exhaust fans. case

Any help or idea is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Late Update;
1- No diference.
2- Undervolting only helped when i tramendously decreased the power draw of GPU from MSI manually.
3-I managed to switch the fan, but it didn't help. I didn't notice any improvement on cooling.

Then, I switched back to the original fan. After that I put new 2 mm cooling pads on the VRM's. That helped for a few degrees, but it was still hot.

Then, After a few months, I decided to upgrade my system. I bought a Ryzen 5 5600, A Tower CPU cooler and a B550 mobo.

After I set up the components, my temperatures drastically dropped on both mobo and GPU readings. I suspect in my old system, cpu stock fan and high temperatures around GPU increased its temps. aswell.

So, now my GPU temperatures are 70-75 C on load...

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Yeah, that's pretty normal for a single fan card, i have never had HP one but I had a one fan 3060 card once from asus, it ran pretty damn hot.
they wouldnt sell them if they were to break quickly before warranty is over...
you can push that card to 90 but do something to make it below 80c and youll be fine forever.
Id take the single fan and the dumb shroud of that card off, and mount two fans on it for full coverage.
you could get an aftermarket heatsink too but 2060 super isn't worth it, just put to fans on it with straps and sticks or whatever method you know.
I'd personally be comfortable as long as it isn't in the 80s, 80s is concerning, anything below isn't

--
AND about your case. 1 exhaust is enough, mount the other two as intake if you can that'd be FAR better.
Before you go and strap fans on your gpus, first take those 2 exhaust fans and put them as intake, im sure it'll help 5-10 degrees.

Reactions: SahinKenar

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
you could do an even more aggressive undervolt, in 0.700mV range of things you will lose ~5-10 fps in games but it is a nice spot in the efficiency curve for most cards, though most people aren't willing to make that sacrifice.

SahinKenar

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
Yeah, that's pretty normal for a single fan card, i have never had HP one but I had a one fan 3060 card once from asus, it ran pretty damn hot.
they wouldnt sell them if they were to break quickly before warranty is over...
you can push that card to 90 but do something to make it below 80c and youll be fine forever.
Id take the single fan and the dumb shroud of that card off, and mount two fans on it for full coverage.
you could get an aftermarket heatsink too but 2060 super isn't worth it, just put to fans on it with straps and sticks or whatever method you know.
I'd personally be comfortable as long as it isn't in the 80s, 80s is concerning, anything below isn't

--
AND about your case. 1 exhaust is enough, mount the other two as intake if you can that'd be FAR better.
Before you go and strap fans on your gpus, first take those 2 exhaust fans and put them as intake, im sure it'll help 5-10 degrees.
Thanks for the advice .
I doubt switching those 2 fans would make that much of a difference but i will give it a try.
With this setup in LOL, my average temps are; GPU : 65 C and CPU : 60 C for referance.

But when I start a demanding game like GoW or RDR2 or AC Origins, GPU rockets up to 80+.

My goal is to decrease the GPU temp under 80 C (preferably 75 C)
And here is my plan;
1 - I will flip the 2 top fans around for intake and check if there is any improvement.
2 - I will try to undervolt to a lower voltage if i can do it and check temps again.
3 - If none works, i will dissassemble the cooling unit and put the 92mm fan on it.

These are the options i have, i believe. Will update when i get back home and switch the fans.

Cheer

SahinKenar

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2015
Late Update;
1- No diference.
2- Undervolting only helped when i tramendously decreased the power draw of GPU from MSI manually.
3-I managed to switch the fan, but it didn't help. I didn't notice any improvement on cooling.

Then, I switched back to the original fan. After that I put new 2 mm cooling pads on the VRM's. That helped for a few degrees, but it was still hot.

Then, After a few months, I decided to upgrade my system. I bought a Ryzen 5 5600, A Tower CPU cooler and a B550 mobo.

After I set up the components, my temperatures drastically dropped on both mobo and GPU readings. I suspect in my old system, cpu stock fan and high temperatures around GPU increased its temps. aswell.

So, now my GPU temperatures are 70-75 C on load. I am very happy with both the performance and temperatures of the system.

I also recommend this buid to anyone who are on a budget but wants to play on 1080p.
R5 5600
B550 mobo
16 gb ram
RTX 2060 Super / RX 6600 XT

Cheers.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.