Question Why is my RX 580 8GB underperforming compared to people running games with the same build ?

May 28, 2023
I have a Ryzen 1600 AF, 16 GB RAM (2x 8), and recently got a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 580.
When I watch videos of its performance on YouTube, people with the exact same CPU and RAM that I have, I see them getting more FPS than me. The game that makes me scratch my head the most is Sony's Spiderman. It's a very recent game and I wouldn't have a problem with my video card struggling with it, but I see people on YouTube getting more than 60 FPS with high settings, while me setting all graphics to minimum can't get 40 FPS.
GTA V is another troublesome title, though I can get 60 FPS with very high settings, I see people getting 80 FPS, I repeat, with the same hardware.

I have installed AMD drivers, downloaded AMD Software, installed DDU and uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers I had for my previous GPU.
My next step would be formatting my computer, but I'm not sure it will work, and if it doesn't, I won't know what to do next.
Does anybody have a suggestion?

Colif

Win 11 Master
NO two computers are exactly the same. Even if they have same hardware there is likely to be different software running at a given time. So there is that aspect.
1st video:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.4 Ghz 6 Cores 12 Threads (OC 3.7 Ghz) ► Cooler: AMD Box Wraith SPIRE ► Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4 ► Ram: DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3000 Mhz 16GB (OC 3466 Mhz Timings 14-17-14-14-34) ► Graphics Card: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 (OC Core 1450 Mem 2100 and bios low timings) ► SSD: WESTERN DIGITAL SN750 500GB ► HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 1 TB ► Power Supply: Chieftec A-135 APS-750CB 750W ► Case: DeepCool Matrexx 70 ► Drivers GPU: Adrenalin 22.8.2

So you have exact same PC? exact same ram? Is your CPU Overclocked?

perhaps its his OC settings on the GPU? OC Core 1450 Mem 2100 and bios low timings
that is faster than your card - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/powercolor-red-dragon-rx-580-oc-8-gb.b4457
unless you OC it, your max game clock is 1350 and memory only 2000

your examples show different motherboards.

I never try to match what i see on Youtube, often it is untrue. Better to just be happy with what you have. I can't even find any reviews for my card, let alone people playing games on it - Red Devil 7900 XT

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns and kurdtnz
May 28, 2023
Thank you for the response, and for calling me out on saying the builds were identical to mine, that's not really true.
Searching up, the first video mobo (a ASRock AB350 Pro4) is superior to mine (a B450M S2H). The second video also has a different, superior mobo.

But I'm still questioning if a somewhat superior mobo, or a bit of overclocking could cause the discrepancy that's currently up. If I'm not mistaken, the most important piece of hardware for game performance is the GPU, so it doesn't make sense to me that him having a better mobo or some overclock causes him to get 40+ FPS than me.

I also appreciate the philosophy of being happy with what you have, but I can't afford to invest in a new piece of hardware that's apparently underperforming. I have to study what's up so when I can afford another upgrade, I know where to invest so it can do what I want.

I'll also say that your GPU currently costs approximately 1340 dollars where I live and if I had that I'd sure as hell just be happy with what I have lol

Colif

Win 11 Master
I'll also say that your GPU currently costs approximately 1340 dollars where I live and if I had that I'd sure as hell just be happy with what I have lol
my model, if I could actually get it here, is about 1400 here too.

I don't know the intricacies of why it is different.

GPU is part of picture but it relies on:
CPU to feed it data fast enough - top end CPU can't keep up with 4090, I assume its less of a problem on low end combos
Ram to be fast enough to feed CPU
storage being fast enough to feed CPU/ram
Windows not being busy

What are full specs?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for the response, and for calling me out on saying the builds were identical to mine, that's not really true.
Searching up, the first video mobo (a ASRock AB350 Pro4) is superior to mine (a B450M S2H). The second video also has a different, superior mobo.

But I'm still questioning if a somewhat superior mobo, or a bit of overclocking could cause the discrepancy that's currently up. If I'm not mistaken, the most important piece of hardware for game performance is the GPU, so it doesn't make sense to me that him having a better mobo or some overclock causes him to get 40+ FPS than me.

I also appreciate the philosophy of being happy with what you have, but I can't afford to invest in a new piece of hardware that's apparently underperforming. I have to study what's up so when I can afford another upgrade, I know where to invest so it can do what I want.

Run this and post a link to the results.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Your 3000mhz ram is running at 2666mhz. That's going to knock off some points.

Bottom line though, you can easily upgrade your cpu to a 5xxx CPU and that should help as well. I had a 1600x then 3700x and finally a 5700x. Notable performance improvements with each upgrade

May 28, 2023
I know it's going off-topic, but I tried to enable XMP profile to 3000 MHz and the PC wouldn't POST. I had to remove battery to reset BIOS.
Someone online told me my mobo supports the value, but my Ryzen won't allow more than 2666MHz. But I saw other people running higher values with that CPU, so could anyone point out what's true?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I know it's going off-topic, but I tried to enable XMP profile to 3000 MHz and the PC wouldn't POST. I had to remove battery to reset BIOS.
Someone online told me my mobo supports the value, but my Ryzen won't allow more than 2666MHz. But I saw other people running higher values with that CPU, so could anyone point out what's true?
Enable XMP then change the speed to 2933

May 28, 2023
Just to update, I did that and it's up and running well.

I have overclocked my Ryzen to run at the same stock of the first linked video, and it's perfectly stable at 3.7 GHz.
I probably can't OC my RAM further than I already did, so my next step should be overclocking the GPU.

But despite those tweaks, FPS didn't increase a single frame.
I appreciate the help I got until now, and I'm open to more suggestions.

Just to update, I did that and it's up and running well.

I have overclocked my Ryzen to run at the same stock of the first linked video, and it's perfectly stable at 3.7 GHz.
I probably can't OC my RAM further than I already did, so my next step should be overclocking the GPU.

But despite those tweaks, FPS didn't increase a single frame.
I appreciate the help I got until now, and I'm open to more suggestions.
Run ubm again like this.

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results.

May 28, 2023
So I own you guys closure as thanks for trying to help me out:
I was being dumb.
Vsync was On in GTA V, I swear I didn't see it before, I'm almost convinced it got unlocked after fiddling around with the overall settings, but that's just cope.

After turning it Off, FPS rate was very similar to the results from the second video.

I am however still struggling with the Spider Man game. Now that I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my build, there's some kind of cap that makes the game peak at 35 FPS even in very low settings. I've checked VSync, that's not it this time guys.

So the topic is no longer about graphics card as it's more of a software issue, mods can close this thread as I bring current issue elsewhere. Thanks again everyone!

May 28, 2023
Ok so here's a thing I picked up on:
I was overclocking the GPU while on GTA, each time I amped the settings on MSI Afterburner, the temperature of the GPU in game was rising accordingly.

Spider-Man was seemingly ignoring it. 1400 MHz, 60 above stock core clock and temp was still on 60 C.
Hoping anyone have a clue on what that means.