[SOLVED] Why is my ssd being shown as running at 3Gb/s? Am i reading it wrong?

ryancorda040

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Sooo, the thing is that, i had added an mx500 in april of this year, and the performance improved drastically for my 6 yr old laptop. Overjoyed and happy but now im straight up confused.

Soo i used to randomly do a userbenchmark for my system every now and then, and i kept noticing that it always kept telling me that my speeds were pretty low for my mx500 which surprised me.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55810823

This is my system's overall benchmark, honestly im surprised and at the same time don't know exactly how to proceed.

Anyways, soo i installed hwinfo on my system recently and i noticed this one weird thing.
On the right most side, where my drive details are given. I can see my ssd with the description displayed as"SATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s". However my HDD which is placed in a caddy and attached to my CD drive port has the interface details as "SATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s. I am very very confused. Is this indirectly telling me my cd drive port is way faster than my main? Or is this maybe a glitch?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XqQp-FACC9ddIoZZ4teTCtxFkr-fgoZU/view?usp=sharing
This is a pic of hwinfo

Please do tell me whether i installed or added my ssd in the wrong area? or what should be the steps required to carry out and fix this issue. Or am i just misunderstanding?

I thought maybe momentum cache was limiting the speed, but it didn't seem to change anything in hwinfo. ie by enabling disabling it.

My friend had said that maybe the cable which connects to my ssd might be the limitation, but while trying to buy another cable, i noticed the laptop cables not having any kind of Gbps value displayed/written on it, plus being some random chinese brand and skeptical pricing at the same time.

Do let me know, in regards to what can be done or what can't be done. Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

Solution
Sooo, the thing is that, i had added an mx500 in april of this year, and the performance improved drastically for my 6 yr old laptop. Overjoyed and happy but now im straight up confused.

Soo i used to randomly do a userbenchmark for my system every now and then, and i kept noticing that it always kept telling me that my speeds were pretty low for my mx500 which surprised me.

This is my system's overall benchmark, honestly im surprised and at the same time don't know exactly how to proceed.

Anyways, soo i installed hwinfo on my system recently and i noticed this one weird thing.
On the right most side, where my drive details are given. I can see my ssd with the description...

On the right most side, where my drive details are given. I can see my ssd with the description displayed as"SATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s". However my HDD which is placed in a caddy and attached to my CD drive port has the interface details as "SATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s. I am very very confused. Is this indirectly telling me my cd drive port is way faster than my main? Or is this maybe a glitch?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XqQp-FACC9ddIoZZ4teTCtxFkr-fgoZU/view?usp=sharing
This is a pic of hwinfo

Please do tell me whether i installed or added my ssd in the wrong area? or what should be the steps required to carry out and fix this issue. Or am i just misunderstanding?

I thought maybe momentum cache was limiting the speed, but it didn't seem to change anything in hwinfo. ie by enabling disabling it.

My friend had said that maybe the cable which connects to my ssd might be the limitation, but while trying to buy another cable, i noticed the laptop cables not having any kind of Gbps value displayed/written on it, plus being some random chinese brand and skeptical pricing at the same time.

Do let me know, in regards to what can be done or what can't be done. Thank you in advance and have a nice day.
No idea what sort of cable setup this pc has but try reseating the ssd cables at both ends and see if it makes a diff.

If the hdd and the ssd cables are the same try swapping them.

Try swapping the sata ports at the mobo.

Reactions: ryancorda040
Solution

ryancorda040

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
That's the joke actually. Its a laptop cable, Its like one end is for the ssd and the other end is like a super thin paper weight strand which connects to the mobo. It looks like this
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LtNHDK7rH8n9qz2BjZwuGCZ7v2NI8CwT/view?usp=sharing

Yes i will definitely just refit it and give it a try tomorrow. Hopefully that works out.
Actually, I have only 2 sata ports in my laptop, if that's what they are exactly called. Sorry in advance. Like one is the main which i have to put the drive with the OS, and over there i have plugged in the ssd.

The other port had a CD drive, which i removed and added a caddy in its place which now holds my old HDD. Nope it doesn't use a sata cable. The caddy directly connects to the port.

Yes, i will open my system tomorrow and see whether refitting the cable works out or not. Thanks in advance.

Ngl, i really wish i had the brain cells of checking hwinfo before i did the ssd swap. Atleast then i would have had an idea whether the hdd also got bottlenecked when it was in the main sata port. Now idk, i feel that it may just become a totally complicated mess if i had to like test this theory now

ryancorda040

Reputable
Mar 12, 2018
Lol, thank you sooo much. I just opened my laptop today, and i reattached my sata cable. Now its reading properly as 6Gb/s. Now i feel soo dumb lol, should have tried that out earlier haha.

Anyways, Thank you soo much. Have a nice day man!!

Reactions: Bob.B