[SOLVED] Why is my system underperforming ?

Jun 11, 2021
Hello all,

I am fairly technically minded and have been troubleshooting my PC for a good few months now. I have not been able to determine the source of it's sluggish behaviour.

PSU: Corsair RM 850x
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
GPU: RTX 2070 super
RAM: 16GB 3600 mhz DDR corsair RGB vengeance
MOBO: Asus X570-p
STORAGE: Adata SX8200PNP in an m.2 slot and a Kingston SA400S37480G

Here is my issue:

My computer used to run flawlessly and there was no pause or wait on virtually any task it was completing.

NOW, however, it is very sluggish when performing two operations at the same time.

• I have reformatted both of my hard-drives and reinstalled windows.
  • I have run Memtest86 and it said everything was fine.
  • I have used the Adata SSD toolbox as well as looking through the S.M.A.R.T. information and it doesn't appear that anything is wrong.
  • I have had DOCP both turned on, and off, and either way does not seem to return it to it's former glory.
  • I have also stripped the PC almost all the way down and redone the connections.
  • I have updated all drivers several times and tried to use several different settings to get my juice back.
  • I have reapplied my CPU with new paste to make sure it wasn't a thermal issue.
  • I have tried my RTX in both slots.
  • I have tried 1 stick of RAM instead of two.
It is only when I'm performing certain actions that I notice that a) my computer slows down to a crawl. For instance, if two programs are using the same harddrive at the same time, it slows. If I have two or more applications open at the same time it slows significantly.

The weird part is my computer can run brand new games at almost the same graphics as it was at before just fine. All my games run correctly, load quickly, and I've only noticed a small dip in performance.

I have also noticed that in task manager any task that is running is using "Very High Power" and it never used to do that.

I cannot boot without my GPU unfortunately though my suspicion is that my PSU is not putting out enough juice anymore.

I noticed in the event viewer there are many errors and warnings... though I have no idea how to interpret them.

Looking for guidance and I apologize for the scattered description.