[SOLVED] Why is my temperature so high on my MacBook Pro Retina?

Apr 3, 2020
Hey everyone,

So about a month ago I replaced my late-2013 macbook pro’s battery with a kit from ifixit itself. That went without issue and the batteries work well.

However, afterwards my computer started lagging significantly when i started running more than like 3 tabs on my laptop, something that never happened before with both fans ROARING. For reference, my laptop is i7 2.3 Ghz 8GB RAM. Though its getting old, I feel as though these specs should definitely be able to support running more than 3 tabs at once, especially since it did so before the battery replacement.

Recently, I decided to (randomly) check my laptop’s internal temperature and its SO high. I downloaded an app to check it and I’ve attached an image to the post. My average computer temp is 123 F and 180 for the CPU temp. This is obviously way too high. I took the temp when I was running 3 tabs on my computer and literally nothing else.

Thoughts on this? is this a malfunctioning temperature sensor. I ran the Apple Hardware Test and all I got back was an error code for the battery which I guess would be expected since I replaced it (with an apple-specific OEM battery), and the battery runs otherwise fine with normal longevity.

Link to image: View: https://imgur.com/a/2Uj7PQY

Thoughts? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Solution
I actually have fixed one of these with super glue, and seems like someone else had same idea. : https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...ogic+board+broke+off+...+adhesive+suggestions

And for the high temperatures, remove battery and watch a youtube video about how to repaste your particular model macbook step by step. Buy Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut its best non conductive paste and get some 90+% isoprohyl alcohol for the cleaning of old paste from die and heatsink contacts. You can also clean the fans while at it, there is small screws holding the fan together you can take it apart to clean better, dont forget rest of the heatsink.
Hey everyone,

So about a month ago I replaced my late-2013 macbook pro’s battery with a kit from ifixit itself. That went without issue and the batteries work well.

However, afterwards my computer started lagging significantly when i started running more than like 3 tabs on my laptop, something that never happened before with both fans ROARING. For reference, my laptop is i7 2.3 Ghz 8GB RAM. Though its getting old, I feel as though these specs should definitely be able to support running more than 3 tabs at once, especially since it did so before the battery replacement.

Recently, I decided to (randomly) check my laptop’s internal temperature and its SO high. I downloaded an app to check it and I’ve attached an image to the post. My average computer temp is 123 F and 180 for the CPU temp. This is obviously way too high. I took the temp when I was running 3 tabs on my computer and literally nothing else.

Thoughts on this? is this a malfunctioning temperature sensor. I ran the Apple Hardware Test and all I got back was an error code for the battery which I guess would be expected since I replaced it (with an apple-specific OEM battery), and the battery runs otherwise fine with normal longevity.

Can I have that in Celsius like the rest of the world uses please?

chafekaraditya

Reputable
Jan 3, 2018
Hey everyone,

You are right those are pretty high temps...Are you sure you put everything back together properly?If Yes then you could also try and clean out the heat sink and fan with time dust accumulation can cause decreased CPU performance and high temps

Apr 3, 2020
You are right those are pretty high temps...Are you sure you put everything back together properly?If Yes then you could also try and clean out the heat sink and fan with time dust accumulation can cause decreased CPU performance and high temps

Hey thanks for responding. So I actually took a look inside my laptop and one of my heatsink scews have been separated from the logic board (picture attached). Would you (or anyone else) have any idea of how to set this back? Some type of a glue maybe? Also would this indeed be the source?

View: https://imgur.com/a/g6Csn7r

I actually have fixed one of these with super glue, and seems like someone else had same idea. : https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...ogic+board+broke+off+...+adhesive+suggestions

And for the high temperatures, remove battery and watch a youtube video about how to repaste your particular model macbook step by step. Buy Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut its best non conductive paste and get some 90+% isoprohyl alcohol for the cleaning of old paste from die and heatsink contacts. You can also clean the fans while at it, there is small screws holding the fan together you can take it apart to clean better, dont forget rest of the heatsink.

Solution