[SOLVED] Why is my Thermal Paste always dried out?

Aug 9, 2019
I put the proper amount of thermal paste (grease) on my processor for the stock cooler, but I notice the temps of my processor rising slowly and when I check the thermal paste it's always crusty and dry where I applied it. Is this normal or did I get a bad batch?

Solution
I put the proper amount of thermal paste (grease) on my processor for the stock cooler, but I notice the temps of my processor rising slowly and when I check the thermal paste it's always crusty and dry where I applied it. Is this normal or did I get a bad batch?
It has happened to me when I was using a low quality thermal paste. Can you replace the thermal paste with a new one?
Aug 9, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What temperatures are you observing and when? In the BIOS? In windows under low load? High load?
Do you have a picture?
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I don't have a picture right now as my PC is in parts form, yet using Ryzen Master ( I have a Ryzen 5 2600X) it reaches about 87c to 90c while under load (Hight or Low). I've heard most AMD processors have an offset temp from the board, but It seems legit to me. I'm using the stock Wraith Stealth Cooler with Positive airflow out the back of the case. I originally thought it was the Coolermaster RGB Masterbox 5 Lite case I got, but I modified the front bezel sides with a Dremel and file to smooth it out for more airflow. I'm starting to think the processor might defective, but I'm not sure.

Nikhilsj33

Honorable
Mar 22, 2015
It has happened to me when I was using a low quality thermal paste. Can you replace the thermal paste with a new one?

Solution
Aug 9, 2019

I have thought about that. I got some Thermaltake from (Ugh!) Best Buy, but I was in a pinch. I've used some with 7 carat crushed diamond and it worked flawlessly. They were both around the same price, but assuming Best Buy's inflationary costs probably about a 4 dollar difference. I think the one I used before was IC Diamond??

Nikhilsj33

Honorable
Mar 22, 2015
I have thought about that. I got some Thermaltake from (Ugh!) Best Buy, but I was in a pinch. I've used some with 7 carat crushed diamond and it worked flawlessly. They were both around the same price, but assuming Best Buy's inflationary costs probably about a 4 dollar difference. I think the one I used before was IC Diamond??
I think you should try to apply a new thermal paste. Normally, a good quality thermal paste won't dry quite soon.

Reactions: KingKoldGaming
Aug 9, 2019
I think you should try to apply a new thermal paste. Normally, a good quality thermal paste won't dry quite soon.
I'll try to nab thermal paste online or Go to Microcenter to get some, but it's about an hour both ways. I'd spend more in gas..., but I concede to your point. I'll remove the thermal paste properly and reapply with a better quality paste. Could I ask what your preference in thermal paste brands are?

Nikhilsj33

Honorable
Mar 22, 2015
I'll try to nab thermal paste online or Go to Microcenter to get some, but it's about an hour both ways. I'd spend more in gas..., but I concede to your point. I'll remove the thermal paste properly and reapply with a better quality paste. Could I ask what your preference in thermal paste brands are?
I normally use Noctua NT-H1. Never had any troubles. I'll also suggest Cooler Master MasterGel. It's good, but a little expensive.