[SOLVED] Why is my upload speed more with wifi than with Ethernet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 29, 2020
I have an ethernet connection on my pc, the advertised download speed for my ISP is 24Mbps and upload is 3Mbps but when I check it over Ethernet I get 70-75Mbps, no issues here. The issue which is bothering me is my upload speed over wifi. Over wifi I get around 9Mbps (stable) upload and 20-25 download. Why such a difference for upload speed? I tried to stream to youtube live and also noticed that over ethernet my upload speed is very unstable, it goes from 200Kbps - 1.5Mbps. So I have 2 questions here - why my upload speed is more with wifi than with ethernet and why the upload speed on ethernet not stable at all? I tried to contact my ISP and they always say it is working fine when they ran the diagnostics from their end?

Solution
Two things:

1) Go into your network adapter's configurations and change the DNS servers to Googles: (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Internet Protocol Version (IPv4) > Properties

"Use the following DNS Service Addresses....."

Determine if changing the DNS server IP address improves the upload speeds.

2) Open Powershell and run the following "Get" cmdlet at the PS> prompt.

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty

You should be able to simply copy the line above and paste it into Powershell at the PS> prompt

The results should be table with five columns:

Name DisplayName DisplayValue RegistryKeyword RegistryValue

Ralston18

Titan
Not familiar with OBS. Try reinstalling/updating.

--------------

Is that all that resulted from the "Get"? Results list should have been 3x to 4x longer.

Noted in your results that Interrupt Moderation is Disabled. My results show Enabled.

May or may not mean anything.

Did you deliberately change/tweak Interrupt Moderation for gaming? Or change any other settings for that matter?

-------------

As you probably have noted Powershell 's "Get"provides a mind-spinning amount of network/network adapter information. (And for lots of other things as well.)

Not sure what else to suggest other than finding a computer with the expected upload speed and trying to compare network adapter's respective configuration settings with focus on Send related settings.

Oct 29, 2020
Not familiar with OBS. Try reinstalling/updating.

--------------

Is that all that resulted from the "Get"? Results list should have been 3x to 4x longer.

Noted in your results that Interrupt Moderation is Disabled. My results show Enabled.

May or may not mean anything.

Did you deliberately change/tweak Interrupt Moderation for gaming? Or change any other settings for that matter?

-------------

As you probably have noted Powershell 's "Get"provides a mind-spinning amount of network/network adapter information. (And for lots of other things as well.)

Not sure what else to suggest other than finding a computer with the expected upload speed and trying to compare network adapter's respective configuration settings with focus on Send related settings.
Thanks a lot for your help so far, but I have another question if you can answer. I don't think making a separate thread for would be useful, so here it goes - If I connect two routers via a lan cable (since there was a lot of congestion in the first router alone), and I connect my device to the new router, would it solve the problem of congestion which I was facing earlier? Like router 1 is at max capacity, and then I connect to router 2 (wifi), will it help in (somewhat) stable speed?

Ralston18

Titan
No.

A network will only perform at the speed of the slowest link.

And, for the most part, two routers are not necessary for most home network environments. More likely to cause problems than solve them.

Plus the second router's "routing" functions are normally disabled making it either a simple switch or perhaps a wireless access point.

(There are situations and home requirements where a second true router may be necessary. That would involve bridging and careful admin configuration for IP addresses, etc..)

Also: after reading back do you have access to another known working computer that you swap in for your computer as suggested by @SamirD ?

Key is to identify the source problem either directly or indirectly by elimination.

My thought is that you should go back and methodically "re do" all the tests and things that you have tried to date. For the most part you have probably learned a few things and may note something that was originally missed or overlooked.

Keep notes, be methodical, change only one thing at a time.

Not sure what else to suggest - there may be other ideas and thoughts. I have no problem with that.

Oct 29, 2020
No.

A network will only perform at the speed of the slowest link.

And, for the most part, two routers are not necessary for most home network environments. More likely to cause problems than solve them.

Plus the second router's "routing" functions are normally disabled making it either a simple switch or perhaps a wireless access point.

(There are situations and home requirements where a second true router may be necessary. That would involve bridging and careful admin configuration for IP addresses, etc..)

Also: after reading back do you have access to another known working computer that you swap in for your computer as suggested by @SamirD ?

Key is to identify the source problem either directly or indirectly by elimination.

My thought is that you should go back and methodically "re do" all the tests and things that you have tried to date. For the most part you have probably learned a few things and may note something that was originally missed or overlooked.

Keep notes, be methodical, change only one thing at a time.

Not sure what else to suggest - there may be other ideas and thoughts. I have no problem with that.
Now I have found something really strange, when I change my speed and duplex settings to 10mbps full duplex, the upload speed remains steady at 9.5Mbps but the download speed also remains below 10Mbps.

Ralston18

Titan
Are those speeds consistent?

Try the tests at varying times: time of day, other devices online, playing online games, etc..

The objective to determine if anything you do reduces the upload speed.

What is printed along the length of the Ethernet cable being used?

Oct 29, 2020
Are those speeds consistent?

Try the tests at varying times: time of day, other devices online, playing online games, etc..

The objective to determine if anything you do reduces the upload speed.

What is printed along the length of the Ethernet cable being used?
I tried it at different times of the day with the same results. And I also read something really interesting here : https://www.vskills.in/certification/tutorial/interface-speed-and-duplex-issues-2/
Read under Ethernet copper and fiber cables. Mine is also copper cable but not sure about which category.

Ralston18

Titan
Advanced Settings for Intel® Ethernet Adapters The Category should be printed along the length of the cable as well as the wire gauge. If not, there is a good chance that the cable is bogus or otherwise substandard.

Plus the cable bad guys/counterfeiter/crooks really do not care and will print whatever they want on the cable so even the cable labeling is not to be trusted.

I will defer to @bill001g for his expertise on cable qualities and detecting fake/substandard products.

Try running

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty

via Powershell again.

Double check the resulting DisplayValues. Are the values as you expect?

FYI:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/e...rnet-Adapter-Settings-for-Maximum-Performance

Advanced Settings for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

Not to immediately change anything - just determine if one or more settings are not as expected.

Last edited:
I booted a Linux live usb (ubuntu) and the upload speed there seems to be 3 times of what I am getting with windows 10. So I guess there's some issue at the windows end? How can I recognize what's causing this?

Speedtest results with Windows - Upload - 1-3Mbps
results with Ubuntu - 9 or above everytime.
Good work! Yep, you've got a windows software issue then. I would first confirm in the linux live usb that both your upload and download are 100% what they should be. If they are, then that eliminates the isp as well as any hardware or networking, and it's purely a windows software issue.

I recall that there is a windows 'network optimizer' or something like that, that has been the source of a lot of problems. I would research and check that first.