[SOLVED] Why is my wifi faster than Cable ?

MikeC24

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
Hello , i have been having high ping issues on games and today i went to my router settings and noticed that my wifi (5 ghz) is way faster than my cable internet why is that?

My network adapter is up to date so i dont really know what the problem is , im kind of a noob when it comes to internet stuff

Screenshot of my router settings

View: https://imgur.com/a/xJwp5N1

Solution
Usually network operators tend to bundle a device that favors one feature over another, with regards to your router given to you by your network operator, I'm assuming they wanted to favor wireless connectivity over wired and as such they gave you a router/device that favors wireless connectivity and not wired connectivity.

That being said, your limit is the connection, switch to wireless if you have a wireless dongle to pair the router to and see if your experience improves.

Lutfij

Titan
Usually network operators tend to bundle a device that favors one feature over another, with regards to your router given to you by your network operator, I'm assuming they wanted to favor wireless connectivity over wired and as such they gave you a router/device that favors wireless connectivity and not wired connectivity.

That being said, your limit is the connection, switch to wireless if you have a wireless dongle to pair the router to and see if your experience improves.

Solution
The ethernet port is likely on 10/100 so it will at maximum run 100mbps.

I strongly suspect the wifi number is not the actual speed it is what is called the MCS value that represents the data encoding method. This is the fairly standard lie you see on any wifi where you see numbers like 1200 or 1450 etc on the router box.

I am going to bet if you were to run a test on a speedtest site the ethernet connected device will get better results.

kanewolf

Titan
This page -- https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/telekom-speedport-smart-3-router says your router should have gigabit ports.
If you have a 100Mbit wired connection from your PC to the router then either your PC doesn't support gigabit, or you have a bad cable.
Some laptops only have 100Mbit wired, but usually the cable is the first thing to replace. If you have an in-wall connection with wall plates, those are the next most likely problem area.

TRENDING THREADS