PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
I have a TPLink connected to my router and then to my device. On both my PC and Laptop the tplink ethernet connection is below half the speed in comparison to over WiFi.
Does anybody know why this is, and is there a way to get the ethernet speeds to normal?

Solution
Sorry for the late reply to your intial question. So I've booted up the TPLINK utility software and it says there's a 89Mbps between both tplinks. However, like you said with electrical circuits and electronics affecting causing interuption. I have a extension cord plugged directly into the tplink which has pratically my whole set up connected to it. I'm guessing thats the problem :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It may be. But it could be an iPhone charger 4 rooms away. If you can, use a longer ethernet cable and move the powerline adapter to a different outlet.
But an 89Mbit link rate should give you better than 10Mbit.

You motherboard has 2.5Gb ethernet. Those have had problems. That is a Realtek rather than the Intel 2.5Gb...

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
Please list model number for all network hardware.

TPLINK -
TP-Link TL-PA4010PKIT

Wifi Router -
BT Smart Hub 2 / 50Mbps down - 10Mbps up

PC motherboard-
TUF GAMING B560 PLUS WIFI
Intel® B560 (LGA 1200) ATX motherboard, 8+1 DrMOS Power stages , PCIe 4.0 support, DDR4 5000 (OC), Dual M.2 slot with flexible heatsink, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, SATA 6Gbps, 2.5Gb Ethernet

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
TPLINK -
TP-Link TL-PA4010PKIT

Wifi Router -
BT Smart Hub 2 / 50Mbps down - 10Mbps up

PC motherboard-
TUF GAMING B560 PLUS WIFI
Intel® B560 (LGA 1200) ATX motherboard, 8+1 DrMOS Power stages , PCIe 4.0 support, DDR4 5000 (OC), Dual M.2 slot with flexible heatsink, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.4, SATA 6Gbps, 2.5Gb Ethernet
Do you have the powerline adapters plugged directly into the wall on both ends ?
Those adapters should provide 40 to 50Mbit throughput with most home wiring.

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
Do you have the powerline adapters plugged directly into the wall on both ends ?
Those adapters should provide 40 to 50Mbit throughput with most home wiring.

Yep. Both are plugged directly into the wall on each end. With them I will achieve around 18Mbps and without around 50. I'm just confused how an ethernet connection can be achieving less than half the download speed. The ping is also a bit higher with ethernet.
The upload speed however stays the same (10Mbps)

kanewolf

Titan
Yep. Both are plugged directly into the wall on each end. With them I will achieve around 18Mbps and without around 50. I'm just confused how an ethernet connection can be achieving less than half the download speed. The ping is also a bit higher with ethernet.
The upload speed however stays the same (10Mbps)
It is an ethernet connection, but it is dependent on the home wiring to work. If you have a cell charger or laptop charger that is generating a bunch of noise on the home wiring, then the adapters won't work well. You could try unplugging things to see if you can improve your performance.
What does the TPLink utility software show for the link speeds between the units ?

Stop saying "ETHERNET CONNECTION", it's NOT!!!!! It's called powerline, they just happen to use ethernet ports on both ends. But powerline is the bottleneck in speed as they travel through your home's electrical wiring.

30-50mbps for AV600 is considered a typical speed for these but it depends on several factors like the age and quality of your home's wiring and circuit breakers. As well as interference from other devices in the home like lamps, power adapters and appliances.

1. Try turning off all lamps and anything electrical in the home with a power switch, aside from essentials like your water heater.
  2. DO NOT plug the power line adapters into a surge protector. Try to keep the powerline adapter away from other electronics.
  3. Disconnect power adapter like phone and laptop chargers.

Then try a speedtest and see what you get.

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
Stop saying "ETHERNET CONNECTION", it's NOT!!!!! It's called powerline, they just happen to use ethernet ports on both ends. But powerline is the bottleneck in speed as they travel through your home's electrical wiring.

30-50mbps for AV600 is considered a typical speed for these but it depends on several factors like the age and quality of your home's wiring and circuit breakers. As well as interference from other devices in the home like lamps, power adapters and appliances.

1. Try turning off all lamps and anything electrical in the home with a power switch, aside from essentials like your water heater.
  2. DO NOT plug the power line adapters into a surge protector. Try to keep the powerline adapter away from other electronics.
  3. Disconnect power adapter like phone and laptop chargers.
Then try a speedtest and see what you get.

Ahhaha mans vexed. I prefer to state it as an ethernet connection. Also, in otherwords, my tplinks are useless :D:D

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
The problem with that is everyone is thinking you have a cat5+ cable attached from one end to the other. They're thinking you should get 100mbps minimum.

When in reality if you say "POWERLINE" instead, then everyone is understanding it properly and on the same page.

Understood. I thought the TPLink part would be enough, my mistake.

TPlink is a brand, they sell many products. I had to do a google search of the product number on the third post to be clear of what you’re talking about. I suspected from the first post, but it wasnt clear.

Thats why you should not state it is ethernet, even if thats what you prefer.

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
TPlink is a brand, they sell many products. I had to do a google search of the product number on the third post to be clear of what you’re talking about. I suspected from the first post, but it wasnt clear.

Thats why you should not state it is ethernet, even if thats what you prefer.

It was for me, but not everybody is going to google the model number you supplied. Have you run the TPLink status tool ? What link rate are you getting between your two units ?

Sorry for the late reply to your intial question. So I've booted up the TPLINK utility software and it says there's a 89Mbps between both tplinks. However, like you said with electrical circuits and electronics affecting causing interuption. I have a extension cord plugged directly into the tplink which has pratically my whole set up connected to it. I'm guessing thats the problem :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also the software states a 50Mbps powerline rate which even still I only get 18 out of the 50 I should get.

kanewolf

Titan
It may be. But it could be an iPhone charger 4 rooms away. If you can, use a longer ethernet cable and move the powerline adapter to a different outlet.

You motherboard has 2.5Gb ethernet. Those have had problems. That is a Realtek rather than the Intel 2.5Gb ethernet.
There are other posts on this board where the performance of that port is poor -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-boards-with-realtek-2-5g-controller.3645659/
I would DEFINITELY recommend you be sure you have the latest driver. There is one dated mid Feb on the support page Version 10.42.526.2020 .
I would also recommend that you buy a long ethernet cable (or temporarily move your rig to the router) and test with a direct cable. There are two possible problem areas and the only way to eliminate the powerline adapters is to use a commercial network cable direct to the router.

Solution

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014

You motherboard has 2.5Gb ethernet. Those have had problems. That is a Realtek rather than the Intel 2.5Gb ethernet.
There are other posts on this board where the performance of that port is poor -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-boards-with-realtek-2-5g-controller.3645659/
I would DEFINITELY recommend you be sure you have the latest driver.
I would also recommend that you buy a long ethernet cable (or temporarily move your rig to the router) and test with a direct cable. There are two possible problem areas and the only way to eliminate the powerline adapters is to use a commercial network cable direct to the router.

Thank you for this information. I didn't realise how easily the tplinks can be effected by other things using the same circuit etc. I'll check up on my drivers and update u with anything I've found.

PCN00B123

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014

I would DEFINITELY recommend you be sure you have the latest driver. There is one dated mid Feb on the support page Version 10.42.526.2020 .

Also quick update. I ran my 15meter ethernet cable straight from the pc to router and I achieved the right speeds, thus a definite powerline problem.